Which partition manager / dual boot

HIT any key 15:26 08 Jun 07

I am an XP/SP2 user at the moment and have also been a long time user of Partition Magic (although I have not used it much recently).

After some time my XP installation has become very 'dirty' and would need a clean installation so I am thinking of moving to Vista at the same time. However I want to be cautious to ensure that all the drivers work correctly.

I remember that, when I moved to XP, I had a real fight on my hands with dual boot. I wanted to use the PM dual boot where each partition could boot indipendantly but I had to fight the XP feature that wanted to boot the XP partition first and then point to which partition should be active. OK unless the XP partition gets damaged and you need to restore it. I managed it in the end but have forgotton most of what I did and I want to minimise the learning curve this time round.

So, thats the background, heres the question :-

Is there a Vista compatible version of Partition Magic and is this the best option (I an not a great fan of Norton/Symantic)?

I have seen that both Paragon & Acronis have equivalents that claim to be Vista compatible. Has anyone any views on the relative merits of these (or other) products?

The level prices being advertised for these products are not an issue and I would prefer to have a supported product (rather than freeware) for something so fundamental.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:19 08 Jun 07

Is there a Vista compatible version of Partition Magic?

No.

Dual boot Vista and XP click here

HIT any key 16:31 08 Jun 07

Thanks for the update on Partition Magic

Regarding the link - yes, I had already read that and I think that is NOT what I want (I had tried to describe why).

As I understand it this method always boots the Vista partition and a boot manager *within* Vista directs you elsewhere if you decide.

For a number of reasons I want a completely indipendant boot manager so that you can walk all over any of your partitions and still have a system you can run.

One of the key reasons for doing this is, once I am stabilised on Vista, I will want to run 2 alternative partitions (one production, one test) with the ability to clone either way.

So - while the inbuilt facility as decribed is interesting - for my purposes I want a free standing product and I am looking for recommendations which is best.

HIT any key 10:54 09 Jun 07

Has no one any thoughts on the relative merits of Acronis v Paragon v anything else?

HIT any key 21:23 09 Jun 07

rabadubdub 21:43 09 Jun 07

I don't use either, but there's a good discussion on MSFN's Vista forum:
click here

Hope it helps.

Rab

HIT any key 09:53 10 Jun 07

Thanks a lot for that - That gives an entirely different way of tackling the problem (but useful all the same).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5