Which OS?

OdinOfAsgard 14:47 04 Mar 04

I am a current windows user and I was thinking about changing to a Unix/Linux platform. Can anyone advise of a good OS like Lindows or SuSe Linux etc., which one would be best. Also I want to build the system myself so are there any hardware support issues that I should take into account when picking the OS. Thank you.

Diodorus Siculus 15:32 04 Mar 04

I would go with Suse 9 Professional - I have version 8.2 pro and it installed easily. Just keep to mainstream hardware manufacturers and you should have no problems.

Diodorus Siculus 15:33 04 Mar 04

Oh, and I would also dual boot with a windows OS until you get the hang of Linux. It takes a while to pick it up.

OdinOfAsgard 17:07 04 Mar 04

Never made a dual booting PC before how do I go about that

TECHNODIMWIT 17:28 04 Mar 04

if you load your linux disc over windows, yuo should be given the choice to dual boot within linux.

Taran 17:34 04 Mar 04

SuSE is about my overall favourite from a purely personal standpoint. This is based on what I do with my Linux computers and how I do it. Other people prefer other distributions because they happen to fit in with their requirements and work methods or preferences.

Mandrake is about the easiest to install of all the Linux distributions though. Most of the distrubutions have a hardware compatibility database on their site; here is a link to the Mandrake compatibility page:

click here

Slackware is the best bet if you want to learn Unix/Linux with all of the command line switches and full-on geek factes.

SuSE, Red Hat, Mandrake and Lindows [to name but a few] have a very nice graphical installation a lot like Widows. In fact, Mandrake is so easy to set up Microsoft could learn a thing or two from their installation process.

It's been said before that if you learn Slackware you learn Linux but if you learn Red Hat, SuSE or Mandrake, all you learn is Red Hat, SuSE or Mandrake. I think that's a bit unfair but Slackware is undeniably the closest thing you'll ever find to a 'proper' Unix-like platform.

About your only real consideration should be your web access. 56k modem support for Linux is a still bit flaky and you really should get a hardware modem if possible. If you have broadband you shouldn't have too many problems unless you have an internal Conexiant based ADSL modem. Most other hardware modems are supported by Linux.

Dual boot systems are handy sometmies. If you have problems with Linux you can restart the machine into Windows and research your Linux problem. Having said that, if you have another PC you won't need a dual boot system. Anyway, some links on how to set one up:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Good luck with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…