Which option of upgrade should I pick

goose1984 15:50 11 Dec 04

Hiya my current system is:

AMD XP 1800+
512mb pc 133 sdr-ram
soltek KAV 75 motherboard

I am looking to make my machine faster and i think i remember once that I read to make any machine faster the first thing you must do is upgrade the RAM and this will make an automatic change in speed. Now the problem is if i do this do I get another stick of 512mb pc 133 sdr or do I upgrade the motherboard so i can upgrade the RAM to DDR. A friend has said that 512DDR is going to be better than 1gb of SDR is this true? if so any suggestions on a new motherboard???

woodchip 16:03 11 Dec 04

Ram will not make it any faster if you only do mundane tasks. Ram is for Graphics and Video Editing. You need a much bigger CPU to see any difference But WHY?

goose1984 16:08 11 Dec 04

i have brought a DVD burner which is comming on monday. I already have a CDRW but I have to clsoe alot of apps down before I burn otherwise i get buffer underrun. And i guessed that the DVD burner will require more enegry so i thought upgrading the RAm would solve this problem

alnwrd 16:16 11 Dec 04

I think you are on the right track with your motherboard upgrade solution. Why not look at a pre-matched motherboard, procesor, and memory bundle from Novatech or whoever you prefer.

alnwrd 16:18 11 Dec 04

Further point when burning cds or dvds, shutdown your firewall, and download enditall2 to kill of unecessary background progs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…