Which Operating System is which?

Batch 18:14 09 Sep 03

Could someone please explain what each of the following "operating systems" are (got this from Windows Update site):

XP 64-Bit Edition
XP 64-Bit Edition RTM
XP 64-Bit Edition SP1
XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
XP RTM
XP SP1

I am trying to download to my hard disk the updates for a neighbour and don't know which is the appropriate OS to use from the above. They have XP Home, but I would be interested to know what ALL of the above equate to anyhow.

Many thanks

Batch 18:16 09 Sep 03

I'll try that again:

XP 64-Bit Edition

XP 64-Bit Edition RTM

XP 64-Bit Edition SP1

XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003

XP RTM

XP SP1

Jester2K II 18:17 09 Sep 03

You have 32 bit.

So you want XP RTM if you don't have Sp-1 installed but SP-1 if you do.

SP-1 = Service Pack 1

Jester2K II 18:18 09 Sep 03

RTM = Released To Manufacturers - ie as it comes on your new PC.

-pops- 18:20 09 Sep 03

If you let Windows update sort out the required updates from within Help & Support, there should be no question of the the wrong ones being installed.

You do not have 64 bit versions and neither do you have RTM.

Jester2K II 18:43 09 Sep 03

Pops - good point. Thought i understood the RTM name but further reading shows i have missed something.

-pops- 18:55 09 Sep 03

<:-))

Batch 22:36 09 Sep 03

Thanks for that guys.

A couple of points of clarification:

The people concerned only have dial-up and at the last look there were some 40Mb of critical updates!!! So the idea is to download all the updates on mass (using broadband) and burn a CD for them to use.

But I am confused by the replies given. They don't have SP1 installed, so Jester2K II's reply suggests RTM is the right one, but -pops- indicates RTM is not the right one, so.....???

Sketch 23:20 09 Sep 03

I think it would be wise just to let the users computer handle it. Broadband or otherwise, most updates can be broken down into smaller chunks specified by the user.

And any updates after SP1 will not become qualified updates for their system until it is made so.

Therefore you may indeed be making a kind solution for their issue a bigger problem for both parties.

SketcH

VoG II 23:30 09 Sep 03

You do not want any of the above. Windows XP Home is 32 bit.

Best if they download themselves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…