which operating system

Rob 66 20:59 17 Dec 08

hi
Can anyone advise me on which os to use on a desktop pc just used for run of the mill stuf
Thanks

LastChip 21:18 17 Dec 08

You will no doubt get plenty of Windows offers, but if all you want to do is "run of the mill stuff", one of the Linux distros would be ideal.

Why use Linux?

1. Virus free

2. Malware free

3. It's free

4. Doesn't clog up and slow down

5. Fantastically stable

I could go on, but I would suggest you try one of the Live CD's on your computer and see for yourself.

Which one?

How longs a piece of string? Seriously though, Ubuntu is by far the most well known and common distro. It enjoys good community support and the latest version is pretty much multimedia ready. The downside (if you can call it that), it uses Gnome as the default desktop, which is sort of MAC like in appearance. If you would like a more Windows look, so the transition feels less dramatic, try Kubuntu or PCLinuxOS.

I use Debian, but you could do with a little time with Linux before trying that. Other distros worthy of note: Linux Mint, SuSE and Mandriva, all of which are suitable for users new to Linux.

Why not download a Live CD of one of the distros and try it. Just to clarify, a live CD, will run the operating system direct from the CD and provided you set your PC to boot from the CD drive as the first boot device, you can try it out without installing.

click here for something I wrote a while back, that may help. There's all sorts of other good information on the site for beginners which you may find useful.

Belatucadrus 21:21 17 Dec 08

What sort of specification is the PC, is it new or old and what precisely do you mean by "Run of the mill stuff" ? Do you include gaming in this description ? There is also the matter of budget, how much do you want to spend ?
If you're not wedded to a Microsoft product a freebie you can try by burning an iso to CD is Ubuntu Linux click here

Rob 66 20:48 19 Dec 08

Intresting
So would i be able to play the latest games such as call of duty,need for speed and such.
download just like i would using ms-os
Dont want to go lower than xp home but as cheap as pos.
Thanks

woodchip 21:32 19 Dec 08

As above Linux. Windows is going over the top with Drose

Rob 66 21:55 19 Dec 08

not sure what you mean

Woolwell 22:03 19 Dec 08

If you want to play the latest games then this isn't run of the mill stuff and I doubt that Linux is suitable.

octal 22:11 19 Dec 08

If you want a games machine use Vista, if you want run of the mill stuff that will get the job done with the minimum of fuss then use Linux, or use them both on separate partitions and have the best of both worlds.

Oh, nearly forgot, use Linux for the internet and use Windows as a stand-alone system so you won't be troubled with all the Windows nasties.

Rob 66 22:33 19 Dec 08

Thanks for the advice so far
octal, i have a 500 gig hd do you have any links for me to help set it up,well has any body got any more advice.
Thanks

LastChip 23:07 19 Dec 08

Load Windows on first (I would suggest XP - Vista is extremely resource intensive) and then use whichever Linux distro you choose, to partition the drive and load Linux.

Your chosen distro should pick up Windows and offer a dual boot option at startup.

If you're unfamiliar with iso files this may help: click here and for advice on installation, this may help: click here Although my article refers to PCLinuxOS, almost all the distros follow a similar route.

But remember, you can try most distros from a "live CD" first and you can do that, whether or not, you have an operating system on your hard drive. Just pop it in your CD drive (having selected it as your "first boot device" in the BIOS) and start up.

Like anything new, you need to invest a little time to read and learn the basics and then you'll be away.

Finally regarding games, some may run via Wine. That's a Linux application that makes a Windows application believe it is in a Windows environment, but there are no guarantees.

octal 06:50 20 Dec 08

As LastChip says there is a Linux application called Wine, but it won't run my Flightsim or Trainsim, so I have a separate partition with Windows 2000 on it to play games and it isn't permitted to access the internet and it works fine like that.

As a matter of interest, you don't even have to have a hard drive in the machine with Linux. I did run this machine for some time without a hard drive using Puppy Linux, which is a very small Linux distro and using a pen flash drive to back up all my settings and files and it worked fine until I got the hard drive fitted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…