Which One And Why?

XFX 14:10 20 Aug 03

While looking round the net at the variuous PC forums I see the same two questions asked many times over.
Which is the best Firewall and AV to use?
I thought that as long as it is doing it's job corectly they must be all the same? Or does it come down to personal preferance?

So which one have you got and why are you using it and not some other one. What is it that it does that others don't?

I have got Norton 2003 FW, I was using Sygate but I did an update and for some reason it damaged my hard drive. So I had to re-install from scratch. Norton was on sale at a Computer fair at a reduced price so I have put that in.

As for the AV I have got Pccillin 2003. It was in when I got my PC, so I have carried on purchasing the new versions. Always catches virsues and runs quitely in the background.

I am trying to say I have got the best, just curious to know what you are all using.

Jester2K II 14:12 20 Aug 03

AVG click here - also have removed PC-Cillin from many clients PCs and replaced with AVG. They are happier for it.

Jester2K II 14:12 20 Aug 03

Oh and Sygate Personal (Free) edition

Djohn 14:14 20 Aug 03

Must admit, I went for "AVG" mainly because it was free, but also because it was recommended in these forums. I have been using it now for almost two years, no problems at all. j.

Jester2K II 14:14 20 Aug 03

Oh and cos they are free, don't fill up mny hard drive with bloat-ware and have been trouble free since day one.

Jester2K II 14:15 20 Aug 03

Oh and they are simple to use too...

Djohn 14:16 20 Aug 03

Think that Jester2K II, and I agree on "AVG" ;o)

leo49 14:24 20 Aug 03

Especially having seen the question asked so many times before, you'll know that it's just as pointless as asking, 'Which is the best aftershave and deodrant and why?', as you'll be none the wiser as to which will suit you best.

DieSse 15:01 20 Aug 03

My view of Anti-Virus programs is that the one which is most likely to catch all the viruses floating around has to be the best - and they are NOT all the same in this respect.

Read the Virus Bulletin click here which seems to do the best independant professional tests, based on real live "out there" viruses. have a browse through their 100% awards, and ponder this fact:-

NOD32 is the ONLY AV program to have never missed and "in-the-wild" virus in their tests in the last 5 years. click here

Peverelli 15:04 20 Aug 03

One (out of many) sites that give results of AV tests. click here

Belatucadrus 15:26 20 Aug 03

Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic, highly recommended. It also has a license that permits desktop & laptop copies for a home user.

Grisofts AVG 6.0 click here currently has Virus bulletin 100% click here but pass history not as good as avast. Used to be included on PCA cover disks, so is most common option used here, has equally vociferous supporters and detractors. Current commercial version is AVG 7.0. In my opinion 6.0 is beginning to creak a bit, but still a sound product.

H+BEDVs Antivir click here has never passed the Virus bulletin tests click here . No limitations to functionality and has support via Antivir forum. Not the easiest program to set up, with slow scan and large update downloads. Functional but not my first choice.

Softwins Bitdefender 7.0 click here the standard edition has passed the Virus Bulletin 100% click here but this brings me to the problem with Bitdefender free, avast and AVG have some of the advanced scheduling features pruned, inconvenient but not a real problem. Softwin has chosen to disable Bitdefenders On line access, real time scanning feature. This would appear to significantly reduce the level of protection provided and relegates Bitdefender to a low fourth.

For a firewall I prefer Kerio2 personal firewall click here , it's compact, unobtrusive and does all I require of a firewall. Unlike some others the free version is complete and identical to the paid version, nothing has been disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…