Which Norton Internet Security

longbelly 17:05 12 Apr 08

Up to now I have been using Norton Internet Security 2001 and now 2005 but I am due for renewal soon. It seems I am being given the choice of Norton 360 at a slight reduction at £55 or Norton Internet Security 2008 at £40 - I assume they will slap o0n tax as well?

I have been very satisfied with Norton 2005 and don't want to rock the 'boat' or slow down my computer so am not sure what choice to make. If I do stay with Norton is it better to renew online with Symantec or buy a disc elsewhere?

My PC is Athlon 1200 with 512MB running on Windows XP-SP2. I am holding back updating to Vista until I eventually buy a new computer.

jimv7 17:25 12 Apr 08

Why waste money,

avg is a free anti-virus.

Comodo is a free firewall.

Both do just as good if not better than norton.

Pineman100 17:34 12 Apr 08

I've never used the security software recommended by jimv7, although I read that it is widely respected.

But I would counsel against installing any of the latest Norton packages on your computer. If you do (as I did on a similar machine) you'll notice a significant slowdown, particularly in boot times.

If you feel more confident with a paid-for package, have a look at NOD32 from Eset click here. By all accounts it's highly effective, and makes light processing demands on your computer.

awest3 17:38 12 Apr 08

I fully agree...norton was a nightmare on the 3 machines I look after...booting took ages...and the machines were overall sluggish...put on AVG, spybot and am using windows firewall...much faster all round.

Al

birdface 18:53 12 Apr 08

If you shop around you will get NIS for about £25.

sunny staines 19:02 12 Apr 08

novatech do nis2008 oem at about "£22

acein1 19:34 12 Apr 08

longbelly,if your using norton (spit) on windows xp sp2 and with only 512mb ram, you must be trawling through treacle, i agree gat rid and install avg,or avast, antivirus,and take you pick from several very good free firewalls,comodo as suggested is good as are sveral others, im using sunbelt, but thats my choice

bobbybluenose 19:41 12 Apr 08

i agree with jimv7 ,i was using Norton internet security 2008 on this machine i paid £30.00 for it what a waste of money ,using avg anti virus no problems with it and its free.

ianeon 19:52 12 Apr 08

I have Windows Vista Home Premium - I was using AVG and Zone Alarm when I had XP Pro - I tried them on Vista but they slowed everything down and didn't work properly - I now use Norton Internet Security 2008 which works perfectly, fast bootups, stops nearly everything and as people have said on this posting you can get it quite cheaply. I totally recommend it.

longbelly 07:42 13 Apr 08

You are right about the slow boot-up with Norton. But if I changed to AVG I'm not sure what Firewall is totally compatible with it?

timestar 10:05 13 Apr 08

I have Norton on my desktop and it is hugely resource intensive. Every couple of hours when it looks for updates CPU usage leaps to above 90% and everything slows down. Although to be fair, it hasn't missed a virus. I have ESETT security on my laptop which is a much better product - if you want to pay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…