Which Norton is best Antivirus or Security?

snowy7077 20:28 19 Feb 05

I have Norton anti virus 2003 installed. Runs a breeze, easy to install, updates automatically.
It has saved my bacon on loads of occasions.
Now the problem.....it is due for renewal.
Either I buy 2005 Norton antivirus, or norton Security.
I know I uninstall 2003 and add the new software..... WHICH ONE WOULD YOU ADVISE AND WHY?
My only concern is that the Norton Security software may need more sorting out re installation. The antivirus simply installs and gets on with it?
Help needed. Plus advice. Symantec advice is buy something??
Can anyone help me???????

THE TERMINATOR 20:34 19 Feb 05

You should be getting Norton Internet Security, not only is Anti-Virus included in the package but also Norton Firewall, Anti-Spam and parental control, it was no harder than installing NAV alone....TT

THE TERMINATOR 20:38 19 Feb 05

Cheapest price click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 19 Feb 05

Just removed 7 virus and 231 spy / malware off a PC supposedly running an uptodate NIS. Save your money there are plenty of free Antivirus /firewalls / antispyware progs that will do as good if not better than NIS

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 19 Feb 05

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Popup stopper :-
EMS Free Surfer Mk11 click here
Popup Stopper Basic click here
click here

Spam Killers :-
AvirMail click here
Spam Weasel click here
Mailwasher click here
SpamPal click here

Startup Managers:-
WinPatrol click here

Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here
Empty temp folders click here
4DISKCLEAN click here

VoG II 20:48 19 Feb 05

I agree with Fruit Bat /\0/

click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:12 20 Feb 05

A home user does not need to pay for a firewall and AV, take heed of the previous posts.

THE TERMINATOR 00:12 20 Feb 05

I have a friend who has just given me his old pc, because he had so many viruses that all associations in windows stopped working. Nothing happened when he clicked on a desktop icon or a file. The only way to get a file open was to right click it and select open. AVG was his virus program and according to him all it did was download updates. I have NIS , I have never had a virus on my drive or bieng hijacked by anyone in 10 years, ok maybe the others are free, but NIS is backed by Symantec. Who backs the others? They could go bust tomorrow....TT

goonerbill © ® 01:17 20 Feb 05

yes, there are free programs as listed by the others ( all known for there good advice ) and have tried some of them myself but have always ended up back using nortons.

if you do decide to buy rather than use any of the free programs, get internet security, as it comes with firewall, as well as A/V.

starlet 05:45 20 Feb 05

There is a problem starting up Word and excel it take a long time to get it usable, when you have installed norton internet security 2005, have not been able to find out yet why the problem is, but it is not just me other people have reported the same problem, trying to contact Symatec seems almost imposible without paying a fortune for the phone call.

Jeffers22 06:10 20 Feb 05

Norton WILL takeover your PC and WILL slow it down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…