Which Network can I install?

Mercury007 09:25 11 Aug 04

I have 2 pcs with the following specs, one is 8 yrs old.

Old PC: Pentium 100Mhz, 32MB EDO RAM, 1.6GB HDD, 4MB ELSA VICTORY 3D Card, Windows 98SE, STAR LC24-30Color Printer, FAT32 File System, Stereo Sound, 4x CD-ROM, FDD.

Newer PC: Pentium3 800Mhz, 512MB SDRAM, 40GB HDD, 16MB NVidia VANTA, Windows XP, EPSON Stylus COLOR 480 Printer, 128K USB Cable Internet Modem, Lucent Winmodem + telephone line (internal faxmodem), NTFS File System, TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Surround Sound, 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ReWriter, FDD.

The 2 are 23 metres apart from each other and are located at opposite sides of my home as well as on different floors so i was considering wireless primarily. I am new to networks and i don't know what i need, if it works, how much it costs, etc...

I need to share the internet connection, printers, files, tv, etc.

Please help me.

johnsims 10:16 11 Aug 04

Requirements: 2 wireless LAN cards, (I am a fan of Netgear kit - cost about £30 to 40 per card) enable internet connection sharing, enable and configure networking, enable and configure wireless. (The Netgear site has some very useful articles on the basics of networking in the support section click here) You will need a free PCI slot in both machines.

The PCs may just be a bit too far apart for a decent wireless connection, but this can be solved by the addition of a wireless access point somewhere in between. Try first to see what sort of signal strength you get before splashing out on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…