Which network cable?

My main pc runs on XP Home and is currently connected to broadband via a BT ADSL modem. I am in the process of buying a notebook running on XP Pro.
I want to set up a wired network to share the broadband connection using a Linksys AG241 4-port gateway/router/modem. The notebook already has an ethernet RJ-45 port. I intend to buy a Linksys USB 2.0 network adapter for the pc and connect both computers using ethernet cables.
This is where I'm unsure - there appear to be three different types of cable (straight, crossover and rolled). Which type do I use for the above set-up?

  keewaa 12:11 16 Nov 05

You'd be better to buy an ethernet NIC card for the PC (£10) and avoid the USB. Straight is the correct cable (although most routers have sensors to cope with straight or crossover ... I'm not sure what rolled is)

  recap 12:11 16 Nov 05

A crossover cable is generally used for PC to PC connection.

  britto 12:54 16 Nov 05

you can get an own brand PC line NIC card inc cable from pcworld for 4.99 have bought 4 never any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This poetic animation about monsters is illustrated in a Van Gogh painterly style

Apple predictions 2017