which nand flash memory laptop should i buy.

tregg 18:28 03 May 07

i want to buy a laptop, but i want one with
nand flash memory, so no moving parts,
as in, no hard disc;
and a physical qwerty keyboard

to a lesser extent, i would like 1 gig of ram
and preferably vista, but thats not essential
i wouldnt mind also, if it had reasonably good specs, so that it might run some graphics software, albeit slowly, like photoshop, adobe premiere, or even a 3d modelling software like autodesk 3ds max. although maybe this isnt possible, because i would prefer to keep the cost down to around £700. i could go higher in price. do you know of a list of laptops, with flash memory, and qwerty keys, so i could compare them.?

most humble regards
tregg

ps, i dont care about style, looks, or how heavy it is. also, it can be a ultra mobile pc, as long as it has a docking station, so i can hook it to a dvd drive.

The Brigadier 18:32 03 May 07

Flash memory hard drives are very new to the market & will cost you alot, if you can find one to buy!

Ashrich 20:11 03 May 07

Samsung have only recently announced Nand hard disks , few and far between and probably very expensive , and small at 32gb , the smart thinking is that they will incorporate nand with conventional hard drive technology and produce hybrid disks with instant boot up and large storage .

Ashley

tregg 19:00 31 May 07

ok, so I googled, phoned, found;
"samsung q1 ssd", about £1200, which is a UMPC, 7" touch screen, no keyboard, low specs.
"samsung q1 ultra ssd" which wasn't released as of may 07. better screen resolution, also now a qwerty thumbpad.
"samsung q30" laptop, now discontinued, I think.
"sony vaio ux1", 4.5 inch UMPC, expensive at about £1800.
"dell lattitude d420" an ultra portable laptop, for about £1300, with a core solo chip, and a possible 1.5 gig of ram. integrated graphics, unfortunately.
its not on their website, yet, you have to phone and request it.

I went with the dell, eventually, Bcos the others had low specifications.

one final note of warning, don't install vista on a 32gig solid sate disk drive, because vista takes up 15gig disk space, leaving you with very little storage space.
go with windows XP, which only takes 1.5 gig of space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac