Which MSN messenger is safe?

Totally-braindead 20:52 16 Aug 06

I think I asked about this last year and got the answer I required but looking through My Postings I cannot see back further than March this year and cannot remember what advice was given.

Basically what it is is a friend of mines kids want to use MSN Messenger for contacting schoolfriends etc. Now I know theres quite a few versions of Messenger, Messenger Plus I believe causes problems as an example. So what I would like is if someone could tell me which Messenger service you can use that doesn't cause security problems as well as bombarding you with Spam.

This is not something I have ever used as it doesn't interest me but one of the kids put one of the Messenger programs on his PC and basically screwed everything up. Of course they all deny they did it but if there is a version that doesn't cause problems he would like to try that as he is certain that if he doesn't one of them will do it again.

Any advice gratefully received.

VoG II 20:54 16 Aug 06

This click here is perfectly spyware free. Of course you have to use common sense when using it.

Totally-braindead 21:04 16 Aug 06

Thanks for that VoG™ but are you certain? I had heard that the Live version was one of the ones that did cause problems with spam etc. Have you used it yourself?

VoG II 21:05 16 Aug 06

Yes I use it myself very occasionally and my daughter uses it 'all the time'.

Jimmy14 21:08 16 Aug 06

I use it constant and don't find any problems with it.

Totally-braindead 21:12 16 Aug 06

Ok thank you both. I will leave this thread open for a bit longer in case anyone else has an opinion.

acein1 21:20 16 Aug 06

Which MSN messenger is safe?
the simple answer is "none",its a matter of common sence as to how you use it , i use
msn 7.5,(with caution) and dont have any problems ,thats not to say your friends children
wont if the are careless ok good luck

Totally-braindead 21:25 16 Aug 06

Yes thanks for that acein1.I do realise this is the case but its a bit of a dilemma. My friends kids will I am 100% certain install Messenger on the PC regardless of what he says. The last time they didn't do it for months and the PC was fine but one of them did eventually install it and thats what eventually screwed things up.
Thinking about this, am I correct in saying that you can set up limited accounts for the kids to stop them installing software without the administrators permission. Is this correct?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant