Which motherboard vendor?

duplo 23:22 21 Jan 04

A friend of mine had built himself a computger, and is having problems with his Asus MOBO, this is the second one. It is definitly a problem with the motherboard, since the faults are different in each case. He has looked at other forums and the faults are common. He is sending it back.

He now wants to chose a new one- he is looking at MSI and Gigabyte. Are there any others, and if there was a choise, which would be best, i.e. has anyone any experience with these brands?

Both have the nForce 2 chipset, I dont know exactly which model, all I know is that they are between £60-£80. He has a graphics card so its not onboard.

Cheers!!

gudgulf 23:42 21 Jan 04

??????????????????????

duplo 23:45 21 Jan 04

"He now wants to chose a new one- he is looking at MSI and Gigabyte. Are there any others, and if there was a choise, which would be best, i.e. has anyone any experience with these brands?"

Sorry of this was not clear....

gudgulf 23:48 21 Jan 04

Or more to the point --Which Asus Motherboard,and what problems are occuring?

What is the spec. of the computer?

I think the forum needs more details if it is to provide any help.

woodchip 23:54 21 Jan 04

click here check reviews

woodchip 23:57 21 Jan 04

Read the third one down in the list of Reviews

Nightmanager 04:20 22 Jan 04

I have used quite a few Soltek motherboards and never had any problems with them

If he can stretch to the cost, the MSI K7N2 Delta series is absolutely brilliant.Packed with features, and comes with all the cables, including serial HDD ones, that you will ever need.

A Cat Called George 07:15 22 Jan 04

I used an MSI K7T266 Pro2 with no problems for 2 years. I now have an Asus A7V600 which after 2 months is equally problem free, although it did take a couple of weeks to "burn in" and settle down to being a good stable motherboard.

Gongoozler 09:47 22 Jan 04

"It is definitly a problem with the motherboard, since the faults are different in each case". This is not entirely a valid conclusion. In fairly recent thread on this forum regarding a computer build with a PC Chips motherboard, the indications were similar to those in your friend's computer, but the cause turned out to be a faulty power supply. If a power supply malfunctions the motherboards can react in different ways depending on the threshold levels of the various components that make up the motherboard. ASUS are one of the best motherboard makers and are well regarded for their reliability.

duplo 11:36 22 Jan 04

The power supply is knowsn to be OK since he has had it for about 3 months running on his old sytem- its an Antec True Power 430, so there is enough power there, and it worked with out a hitch for the last three months

I think he has just been unlucky and wants another brand!

Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…