Which motherboard????

Rocknrollstar 19:09 12 Mar 06

which is the better motherboard to buy:
ASUS A8N-SLI SE nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,&5.1Audio,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OR:

Asus A8R-MVP Radeon Xpress200 CrossFire Chipset DDR400 Dual PCIE SATA RAID MB w/GbLAN,USB2.0, 2xIEEE1394,&5.1Audio.

I will only be using 1 gfx card the ATI Radeon X1900XTX PCI-E x16 512MB and have no plans to add another, Both are the same price so its about the best one.
(i have heard problems with the crossfire)
Please help as i would like to ppls opinions about both mobo's.

stalion 20:52 12 Mar 06

to the top

hzhzhz 20:56 12 Mar 06

Which motherboard?

The ASUS A8N-SLI SE nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-LAN,USB2.0,&5.1Audio.

Rocknrollstar 21:44 12 Mar 06

So i should go with the ASUS A8N-SLI SE nForce4 SLI as its the best(yes?).
And it doesnt matter that i will be using an ATI gfx card?

gudgulf 21:44 12 Mar 06

Have a look at this review......in particular pay attention to the new Crossfire Xpress 3200 chipset.

This is featured on the Asus A8R32-MVP motherboard.

See click here

gudgulf 21:45 12 Mar 06

Oops........the link to the review might help too!!!!!

click here

007al 22:09 12 Mar 06

As it says in the article gudgulf posted,nvidia have bought out ULi,the makers of the ATI chipset.
Ive also read that the new version of crossfire will use a bridge connection as the SLI does.So the SLI board would be the one to go for at least until ATI sort out how they are going to implement Crossfire on a long term basis.
Interestingly,as nvidia are the sole makers of the SLI chipset and have taken over ULi,the new Asrock(Asus made)boards have SLI using the ULi chipset.So in the future,any motherboard with ULi,ATI,Nforce chipset will all be an Nvidia board!Cant see ATI being too happy with that though.
The Asrock SLI board is only around £48 too!

Rocknrollstar 22:28 12 Mar 06

So it seems that the ASUS A8N-SLI SE nForce4 SLI is the mobo i should go for, as it seems the crossfire is a new mobo that will probably be upgraded in the future and has a few niggles about its bridges(im not really this technical usually lol).
Would this be a correct conclusion????????
(please help as i would like to order my new system monday or tuesday)

hzhzhz 22:50 12 Mar 06

What about the ASUS A8N-E which I think is not an SLI board. MESH use one of these mobo's in a system of theirs, coupled with the x1900xtx. click here The Titan x1900

Rocknrollstar 23:08 12 Mar 06

There isnt an option for the ASUS A8N-E. Another option i can have is the Asus A8N5X nForce4, but i presume this one isnt as good as the ASUS A8N-SLI SE nForce4 SLI.
I would like to add that i will only be using 1 gfx card the x1900xtx.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017