Which Motherboard?

Andy 12:12 15 May 04

I intend to build a new PC around an Intel Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology. I do not need onboard sound therfore which of the following motherboards would be best,

1. Intel Desktop D875PBZLK Bonanza 875P "Canterwood" (Socket 478)

2. Abit IC7-G MAX2 Advance "Canterwood" (Socket 478)

3. Asus P4C800-E Deluxe "Canterwood" (Socket 478)

or

4. Gigabyte GA-8KNXP "Canterwood" (Socket 478) Motherboard

Any advice would be greatley appreciated.

temp003 16:42 15 May 04

If you're going to use a Prescott, be careful with the power supply of the motherboard. The Prescott demands a higher power supply.

Some mobo makers have produced newer versions/revisions of the same motherboard to take care of the power supply - I think it needs to be at least FMB 1.5 - so FMB 1.5 or FMB 2.0 will be OK. Usually this is not included in the motherboard specs, so make sure it actually says it supports Prescott. click here for Prescott supporting motherboard revisions (and double check with mobo website).

You may have checked that these models all support the Prescott. If so, for this high end sort of motherboard, I would go for the Asus.

Satmansq 16:53 15 May 04

I faced a similar dilemma with my new pc and sought advice from various sites, i finally opted for the asus motherboard which seems to have a few welcome refinements. I opted for the AMD version but it is recommended.

Andy 16:55 16 May 04

What do you mean by FMB 1.5 or FMB 2.0. Also I note that the nither the Intel or the ASUS motherboards have a fan on the North bridge chip. is this nessasary?

radi8or 17:12 16 May 04

Andy,

I have a GA-8KNXP with a P4 3.2 Prescott it's fine up to 3.2 above that, ie. p4 Extreme and you need a GA-8KNXP Rev2.0

click here

Hope this helps as far your Gigabyte choice goes.

Regards Bob

radi8or 17:17 16 May 04

Andy,

Should read, ie. 3.4g & P4 Extreme.

Regards Bob

david.h 17:45 16 May 04

have you looked at the AOpen boards with the advantage of easy BIOS upodates while still in windows, the board are good quality.

temp003 01:09 17 May 04

FMB stands for flexible motherboard - not that it means much - but it's a specification, part of which deals with the power supply of the motherboard. Prescotts need FMB 1.5 or later. FMB 1.0 won't do.

If the website says it supports the Prescott, it's fine, don't worry about the FMB (because it's usually not stated anywhere).

click here=
click here=

The models you are thinking of are models designed for the Northwood, which have been modified to support the Prescott.

At the moment, the Prescott is more of a paper release. Its design allows for further CPU clock speed increase, but does not make much improvement in performance over Northwood.

There don't seem to be any motherboards specially designed for the Prescott, but I stand to be corrected. I think it's because everyone is waiting for the Intel Grantsdale chipset for new functionalities etc. The Grantsdale has been announced but there don't seem to be any product yet. I don't know what's happening.

Personally I don't think it's a good time to change to the Prescott (or the Athlon64 for that matter). Both platforms are in a sort of limbo. But then you can wait forever. If you're happy with the Prescott, just make sure that you get the right version number for the motherboard which supports the Prescott.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac