which modem do I have?

woowoowoo 09:14 05 Sep 05

Hello
After my computer crashed and people here helped me re-format it at get me up and running, I have to install my drivers. I don't know what my modem is. How do I find this out? Thanks for everyones help, it is much appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 09:16 05 Sep 05

click here
Everest should be able to tell.

If not, open up the machine and look at the modem for any distinguishing marks.

woowoowoo 09:23 05 Sep 05

I can't get on line with it - this pc is borrowed. I really have to open it up?

Stuartli 09:28 05 Sep 05

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information>Components>Modem (highlight).

It's Windows own (and the original) version of Belarc Advisor, Everest etc although not necessarily providing every scrap of information that might be requred.

Taff36 09:29 05 Sep 05

If Everest doesn`t work try click here Not as comprehensive as Everest but will tell you which modem you have on page one.

Taff36 09:30 05 Sep 05

It will also fit on a floppy disc so download Belarc on another machine and transfer it.

Gongoozler 09:31 05 Sep 05

If all else fails, take the modem out of the computer and note any markings on the board and on the largest chips. Post them here and we'll see if we can tell from them what the modem is.

Stuartli 09:46 05 Sep 05

I've already pointed out that Windows' own System Information will provide the details of the modem...:-)

woowoowoo 09:50 05 Sep 05

ok - am doing that now

woowoowoo 10:02 05 Sep 05

Hi -back again - did all that and its not detecting a communications device. Is that because I haven't installed a driver?

Diodorus Siculus 10:05 05 Sep 05

Right click on my computer

choose properties, hardware, device manager. See if it is displayed there.

If not, you may have to remove it physically and put into another PCI slot to get Windows to recognise it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now