Which Mobo conundrom

holly polly 18:07 26 Aug 03

Hi decided to upgrade my system -hard drive on way out ,i attended a comp fair to obtain new hard drive ,most of the new if not all hdds run at ata 133 or 100 as my mobo only supports upto ata66 ,the new drive would work but run very slow,i then asked if installing a ide controller card would remedy the situation ,i got that many contracdicting advice i am very confused ,one says that would be allright one says you can do it but as the mobo runs at ata66 eventually you going to hit that and that is going to be the best transfer speed ,just who do i believe?
i then asked if it would be more beneficial if i was to change the mobo for a uptodate one my current one is a gigabyte ga-7ixe,the thing is i have 512mb of sd ram in this system on 3 cards ,and i want to use this in my new system {seems a pity to waste it}after loking round the web for a mobo ,is there a decent make with 3 memory slots ata133 complient,and takes either sd ram or ddr -i am also thinking of upgrading my current proccessor amd700 to a amd 2000 xp would i be better with ddr arm or will the sd ram suffice ? bear in mind i want to get the best i can out of my yet uninstalled maxtor 7200 rpm ata133 80 gig hdd -as usual all answers greatfull recieved cheers -hol pol..

clayton 18:24 26 Aug 03

If your going to update your motherboard dont limit your choice of board just because you have 512mb of sdram, go for the beast motherboard you can its the heart of your pc, what sort of budget do you have for a new board & DDR memory & what will the pc be used for ?

I would try & sell your old motherboard ect on ebay.

it sounds to me as if you'd be best to go the whole hog and buy a new motherboard processor and RAM at one time, if you buy them as a bundle you will save a little money and you will find it easier to sell the old stuff as a bundle to recoup some of the outlay.

holly polly 18:46 26 Aug 03

the pc will be used for a family pc video editing burning cds everyday things that we all do i cannot really specify one particular subject it will be used for an allround pc if you like ,i am not a gamer ,though the kids like to run one or two ,at the fair i attended at the weekend a new mobo a gigabyte one new hdd 1800 processor ,new fan and heatsink etc ,i was also looking at a asrock vt7?or something which supported sd and ddr ram but only 2 slots for each -the gigabyte mobo fan hdd and processor was£150.00 well within my budget ,iwas thinking of around £225.00 for mobo hdd fan processor and 512mb ddr ram this about my limit at the moment,is this being wish ful ,other then that can i just put the new hdd in this system ,and let it run ,will it be ok ?and what if i install an ide controller card -yout thoughts on this please will the maxtor 7200 ata 133 run ok on the gigabyte ga-7ixe mobo ,if so i might be better building a complete new system from scratch -what do you think?-cheers hol pol...

clayton 19:20 26 Aug 03

Your motherboard will need Bios version F7 to support hard drives of 75gb & over.

Asus A7V8X-X SKT A KT400 8x AGP DDR Sound/lAN/USB 2.0

click here

AMD XP2500+ 333FSB Barton Retail Boxed Inc Heatsink & Fan with 3year Warranty

click here

Total above £126.96 you could get a slower processor to bring the price down.

Memory free postage
512MB DDR PC2100 £58.74
click here

click here

Hope this is of some help.

holly polly 19:49 26 Aug 03

many thanks for the links clayton £186.00 for the lot me thinks i will go this way will this team up nicely with the ata133 hd by maxtor?,also is it worth paying the extra 9 quid for the xp 2600 and if so will the asus mobo you reccomended take it?,cheers -hol pol...

clayton 20:18 26 Aug 03

yes the xp 2600 will work fine, if its too much you could get the xp 2000 & save £20 & or 256mb pc 2100 for £35, there are some cheaper motherboards but i would stick with one of the better brands Gigabyte,ASUS,MSI ect.

click here

holly polly 20:26 26 Aug 03

Very many thanks clayton you have given me a lot to think about by the way whats the diffrence between all the varients of ddr ram eg pc 2100 pc 2700 etc and will the asus board support them all and can you mix and match the diffrent varients pc 2100 and pc 2700 etc on the same mobo at the same time, really cofusing the diffrent types would appreciate a idiots guide if you have got the time ,cheers once again -hol pol...

clayton 20:37 26 Aug 03

Theres no point in mixing the memory, if you purchase 256mb pc2700 & then 256mb pc2100 all the memory will run @ the pc2100 speed so dont mix it.

The Asus motherboard will support any DDR memory upto PC3200 (DDR400)

As with everything it all comes down to cost PC3200 is faster than PC2100 but also costs more you have to set a budget & stick to it, you could purchase 256mb of PC2700 now & get another 256mb later in the year.

Also if you do alot of video editing you might want to upgrade your graphics card.

holly polly 21:30 26 Aug 03

Clayton -a big thankyou for all your help i will now tick this thread as resolved,cheers-hol pol...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…