Which Memory For My Set Up?

big kev 23:50 02 Apr 07

I have an old Abit NF7-S Rev 2, with 2 x 512MB Corsair XMS3200LLPT TwinX, but since installing Vista Home Premium, I've noticed the system seems a little slower and games suffer from major lagging, although I know the NForce 2 support is a part of the problem.

Would putting 2G dual channel in make much difference as a whole and if so, would cheap Crucial/Samsung/any other value memory be fine, or would more expensive Corsair/OCZ etc be a better bet.

Considering I'm only using a Barton 3000+, overclocking won't be that important.

Cheers.

Kev

Migwell 00:33 03 Apr 07

Check on click here

HappyTrucker 07:05 03 Apr 07

Crucial's site is actually here : click here

According to the info the NF7-s v2 doesn't support dual channel. You can have up to 3GB of PC2700, PC3200 or PC4000 (DDR333, 400 or 500). I don't know enough to know whether make of RAM matters, but I suppose 'you get what you pay for' is as true here as anywhere.

HappyTrucker 07:07 03 Apr 07

I don't think using Dual Channel RAM will have an adverse effect but I don't think it will boost performance either if the board doesn't support Dual Channel.

big kev 09:27 03 Apr 07

Well I've actually got mine running in dual channel at the moment, as confirmed on boot up and it states dual memory on the Abit webiste, so their website isn't correct, which is odd.

HappyTrucker 15:27 03 Apr 07

TBH I'd trust the info on the board manufacturer's site. Odd for Crucial to get something that makes such a big difference to the PC performance so wrong though.

If you're happy with the performance of the RAM you have, I'd go for the same make, just 1GB modules instead. I suppose it depends if you think it's worth around £100/GB.

I've only just noticed that you mention NForce2. Is your graphics card an nVidia as well? A lot of your problems could just be down to the current issues with nVidia and Vista. I'd say hold off for a bit until the new drivers come out and see if things improve.

In case you are using an nVidia card, the current Vista drivers are available here: click here

big kev 21:29 03 Apr 07

The problem is that I just can't afford top quality ram at the moment, even when I sell on my current set, so something like Corsair/Geil/OCZ value series is probably all I can go for really.

I'm using an XFX 6800GT, with the beta driver, so I might try the 100.65's, although I doubt if it will help much with the lagging, worth a try.

My system often has "not responding" problems as well, so I think the extra gig must make a difference overall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…