Which Linux best for a netbook?

Digital 20:20 PM 21 Sep 12

I have an "empty" HP Mini 210 netbook, ie. no OS in it. I'd like to put a version of Linux in it but need advice as to the simplest/easiest distro to use & is it possible to load one from a USB key?

bluesbrother 01:04 AM 22 Sep 12

Universal USB Installer will install linux on to a usb for you

As to the best one to choose for a netbook, I don't know.

My personal fav flavour (at the moment) is mint

I would suggest running a few from the usb drive before deciding which one to install on the netbook.

There's plenty to choose from.

bluesbrother 01:09 AM 22 Sep 12

There was meant to be a link to Universal USB Installer and Linux mint in there but it seems the spam gaurd is at full strength tonight.

bluesbrother 01:10 AM 22 Sep 12

Pity they don't protect from bad spelling

LastChip 04:57 AM 22 Sep 12

I would probably go for Puppy Linux on that machine, as although the latest distros would run, they may be a little sluggish by comparison.

It depends whether you're happy to give up a little speed for a leading edge Debian based distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, or whether you'd prefer the speed.

Certainly if you want a distro similar in appearance to Windows, go for Mint (Mate version). It really is a superb distro now.

If you'd prefer to try something completely different, go for Ubuntu. But be prepared for a learning curve on a par with Windows 8, as it's really designed for touch screens and in my opinion, is far from intuitive.

Digital 11:26 AM 22 Sep 12

Thanks both of you. I'll try both Mint & Puppy via the USB drive as suggested before installing.

Digital 11:26 AM 22 Sep 12

Thanks both of you. I'll try both Mint & Puppy via the USB drive as suggested before installing.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…