Which laptop

Shine77 12:42 28 Sep 07

Hi, hope someone can help me out a bit.
I'm going to buy a laptop and am looking to buy as cheaply as possible, ideally under £300. I'd also prefer it to run XP rather than Vista.

I want it mainly for word processing, studying and web design and have been looking at an offer PCWorld have at the moment (which doesn't seem to be on the net so I can't link to it) for an
E Systems laptop for around £280, running XP. I'm guessing part of the reason it's that price is because it runs XP. It has an Intel Celeron M Processor 430 and 256 MB. That's all the information in the advert for it.

Is this a decent enough computer or would it be worth me spending more, up to £350? I'm really not looking for anything flash, just something that's relaible and does the job.
Many thanks for any responses.

Shine77 12:52 28 Sep 07

Or is this any good?
click here

Gamer555 18:35 28 Sep 07

Cant go far wrong with Novatech.

Look at the Revo 440 Pro.

click here

Gamer555 18:37 28 Sep 07

Mind you, the one from laptops direct looks good too.

Shine77 10:23 29 Sep 07

Thanks for your response. The Revo 440 is a bit out of budget once software is added though.

How do I know if a laptop is enabled for wireless or broadband?
And is it possible to get a laptop with a smaller screen for a similar price?

Gamer555 12:47 29 Sep 07

If you want wireless broadband you need a a slot that supports that type of expansion card. Wireless Broadband needs a PC Card (PCMCIA card) or Express card. Most laptops come with these slots or cards.

I don't think Dell laptops come with the PCMCIA card slot though. Well they never used to!

Gamer555 12:52 29 Sep 07

I forgot to say that the Laptop form laptops direct comes with the expansion slot necessary for wireless broadband.

Shine77 12:54 29 Sep 07

Thanks a lot for your answer. That's helped make things a lot clearer.

Acx 13:17 29 Sep 07

The Pc World Laptop - 256 MB if that is the installed memory you will find it very slow.

Wireless - under networking you will see something like LAN Wireless (802.11a/b/g)
You will also have to buy a wireless router.

Shine77 19:57 29 Sep 07

Ah, I had wondered about that, if it was a bit too small for decent speed.

The Fujitsu says -

Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

wireless LAN aerial

Does that mean it's set up for wireless broadband?

Acx 23:13 29 Sep 07

Broadband is supplied by a isp to your phone line

To make your Broadband Wireless you need to connect something like
click here
to your phone line (this will not come with the laptop).

Then you get the laptop/desktop/mobile phone to connect to this router (wirelessly), thus allowing it to access your wireless broadband.

The HP has wireless support, a built in aerial and a LAN card, I must admit I'm not 100% sure if it can connect (I think it can).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced