Which to keep?

chub_tor 14:41 22 Feb 06

I have 3 destop PC's and my better half insists that one of them has to go. I know that I am keeping the one I recently built so my choice is to get rid of
a) MSI 645E Max motherboard with 1.7GHz Celeron this is Socket 478 with USB 1.
b) ECS K7S5A motherboard Socket A with USB 2 onboard LAN and 1Ghz Duron.
Both machines have 80Gb hard drives and 512Mb DDR Ram. I have added a USB 2 PCI card and an ethernet card to unit a) and I can mix & match the other peripherals such as DVD R?W and CD R?W.
So if you were forced to choose one machine to keep for a backup which would you go for?

mattyc_92 16:38 22 Feb 06

I would "strip" down computer b and use for spare parts for computer a

Diodorus Siculus 16:38 22 Feb 06

I'd keep both and get a decent kvm switch - three base units, one monitor, keyboard and mouse. See if hte better half notices anything!

007al 16:55 22 Feb 06

Have you thought of divorce?
No,seriously,i would lose the celeron and with whatever money you make on it,upgrade the cpu in the socket A.

spuds 16:56 22 Feb 06

Hide one in the attic, you may need it one day. She won't know!.

wallbash 17:51 22 Feb 06

Go with spuds idea , everyone happy

chub_tor 19:22 22 Feb 06

Thanks for the advice but I already have two others in the attic an Elonex 286-12 (my very first which cost over £1200 and I keep for pure sentiment) and an Austin Computers (whatever happened to them?) 486 with a 40Mb hard drive - all you'll ever need sir - which also cost around £1000. Plus boxes of old ISA boards that I really must boot sale one day.
I think that I'll take Mattyc_92's advice and rejig the ECS machine and upgrade the processor and try and flog the Celeron unit.

EARLR 20:34 22 Feb 06

Your a pack rat like me, never throw anything away You will regret it. Ma by not the Wife.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now