WHICH INTERNET SECURITY TO BUY

ARTY DAN 10:20 28 May 07

I have looked at mcafee total protection, it is quite expensive £44 was the cheapest I saw. I was thinking of buying this program because it has parental control and network protection both of which my nephew needs, who I am thinking of buying it for. The parental control because he is easily distracted while studying and the network protection because he has a wireless router transmitting the broadband signal to his brothers computer. At the moment he has AVG anti virus and I assume the router has a built in firewall. A cheaper solution I thought would be to buy mcafee internet security 2007 and a program like net nanny, but would the network be safe? I did ask macafee technical support which program they thought would be best either mcafee inetrnet security 2007 or total protection they said, total protection.
Can anyone advise me on what to buy as money is a bit tight.
Thanks in advance

ARTY DAN

Jackcoms 10:27 28 May 07

Why buy any?

There's plenty of good free stuff out there.

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

rawprawn 10:37 28 May 07
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 28 May 07

You can get excellent protection for FREE all that is lacking is help and support for it.

You need a Firewall
an Antivirus program and some antispyware

Zonealarm +
Avast +
spywareblaster + windows defender+ Adaware

is a good combination, but the choice is yours

Anti Virus :-
Antivir click here
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
Spycatcher express click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
AVG Antispware click here
Superantispyware click here
Hitman pro click here

Child safe Internet control :-
Iprotectyou click here
Weblocker click here
Parental Filter click here
K9 web protection click here
Naomi click here

Firewalls :-
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 click here
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here

Spam Killers :-
AvirMail click here
Spam Weasel click here
Mailwasher click here
SpamPal click here
Eliminatespam click here
xterminator click here
spamihilator click here

tullie 10:50 28 May 07

And dont forget,the other computer mentioned needs its own protection too.

bjh 10:54 28 May 07

There are always raging debates about which AV product is better, or if it is worth paying for X when Y is free. I think we often get carried away with this kind of argument, and it isn't always helpful.
O various of my systems I run McAfee Internet Security 2007, Kaspersky Internet Security, Trend Micro PC-Cillin (2006, and not the most recent, I believe), as well as freebie Active Virus Shield combined with Zone Alarm and antispyware freebies.

I don't think I have had a real virus problem from ANY of them. I think the main differences between the freebies and the paid-for is the all-in-one approach of the suites. And, just like buying MS Office, that may mean that you don't necessarily get the best of everything in a suite. In particular, Kaspersky firewall and AV are excellent, but (in my personal opinion) the anti-spam isn't as good as that offered by McAfee, yet the McAfee is a sod to install, and keeps popping up the odd "information box" for the latest McAfee product. PC-Cillin is, as far as I can tell, as good as the other two, has control over wireless networks (which I think McAfee doesn't do so well but does do, and Kaspersky does just fine). I don't use any of the parental control features (not being either a parent or child!), but a very quick browse shows PC Cillin seems to have a fairly advanced filter. I can't find any on my McAfee Internet Security (but it is NOT the total protection ).

So, I'd suggest that for ease of use, a single suite like McAfee T.P. may well be the easiest to administer. It may actually work out cheaper, because it should do the job all-in-one. Look up Trend PC Cillin (click here) which may be cheaper overall and (I think) does just a bit better job. There's a one month free download to try.

Finally, if money is a bit tight, keep your eyes out for cover disks on magazines. Cerainly Kaspersky is often there with a free six months subscription, and that's a price even I am willing to pay!

tullie 11:05 28 May 07

As fruit bat says,no need to by your security,do do so is pointless,i would suggest that anyone thats bought theirs,will say theirs is better,its quite natural to say that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now