Which intel processor do i need? please help

Matthotshot 21:10 07 Jun 07

I'm pretty sure my processor is broken i've checked pretty much everything else and it might be the processor. Its a 2.7 ghz celeron but i'm not sure which one. The motherboard has mPGA478B written on the CPU connection am I correct in thinking this means its a 478 socket? If so how do I find out what the biggest processor is that I can fit to the motherboard?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

scolley 21:56 07 Jun 07

Matthotshot
im sure im having same prob with my pc, have just been reading it depends on chipsets as well, it says.

The chipset type will determine what type of processor can be used - Celeron, Pentium 4 and so on, dont think this as helped you but it make you think before buying the wrong one,
Scolley

Peachy boy 22:04 07 Jun 07

I was thinkin of upgrading my cpu and I am pretty sure I have a socket 478 motherboard and the cpus I have seen so far are just mostly celerons and pentiums 4s click here

There might be better options but mabey you should consider an lga 775 motherboard

Totally-braindead 22:14 07 Jun 07

Chipsets have nothing to do with the processor it can support as far as I know, the deciding factor on what processor any board can support is what the motherboard will correctly recognise.
If you can identify the motherboard Matthotshot someone should be able to help with the processor support.
Look physically at the board there should somewhere be a serial number like GA7VAXP or A8N-SLI.
You have to identify the motherboard.

Are you sure the processor is gone, it could be the motherboard, unfortunatly other than replacing one or other with a working part I know no way to test it.

Perhaps someone else will.

If its a branded PC then if you can give us the make and model someone should be able to help with motherboard identification and CPU support.

Totally-braindead 22:15 07 Jun 07

Quite often the board model number is next to the memory slots.

Quiet Life 13:26 08 Jun 07

Seeclick here(mPGA478B).html Should take up to a 3.46 P1V

rabadubdub 14:17 08 Jun 07

You can find a lot of info about your system using the System Information tool - you'll find it via Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>
It may tell you Mboard, Chipset, Memory, Software, Hardware, Codecs, etc.,

I like to use a utility called Belarc Advisor, get it at click here , as everything appears on one page, including serial No's, Product Keys and Hotfixes installed.

There are other good util's out there, including Fresh Diagnose, AIDA32, SiSoft Sandra, to name but a few.

Once you know the Mboard, you can get the manual on their website for all the options.

Rab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…