Which important files shall I backUp?

summer1976 11:05 21 Oct 04

I was wondering which important windows files I should backup. For example I know the Registry is a must but which other ones.

I have a restore cd and i'm not bothered about my prog files as I know which ones I need to save.

Most of my hard drive is full of avi's and mpeg's which I do not need to backup as I will be buying a bigger drive soon to put them on.

I'll be using a dvd-r with Nero BackItUp and i'm running Win XP Home edition.

Cheers.

TomJerry 11:18 21 Oct 04

I do not think you need to backup any windows things, especially when you turn on XP (or ME)'s restore.

When window messed up. You can restore to early point. If really bad, you can start in safe mode and restore to earlier good point. If really really bad, you just wipe clean and restore it from Recovery CD you got.

What you really need to backup is your PERSONAL stuff, i.e. photos, emails, word docs etc etc.

If you want to get back to work quickly when something gone pear shape, it is better to create Image of HDD. As you have DVD-RW, this is a perfectly option. The best easy to use program is Acronis True Image click here.

Personally, I got a backup HDD and put into an external enclosure and clone it identical to the one in PC and update once a week (1 hour unattended job). If something gone pear-shape, just put the backup HDD in and carry on work in 15 minutes.

summer1976 13:45 21 Oct 04

Thanks, i'll do as advised.

Jackcoms 13:55 21 Oct 04

I use the Windows XP back-up utility and back up 'Everyone's Documents and Settings' to a ZIP disk at least once a week.

For 4 users it takes about 220mb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…