which IDE connector

freefx 14:19 10 Oct 04

Is there anyway to find out which IDE (0 or 1) are my two disk drives connected to and also which drive is primary/master , without opening my computer case and look inside? OS Windows XP Pro.

stalion 14:35 10 Oct 04
  CurlyWhirly 14:38 10 Oct 04

It should say in the BIOS.
For example if your operating system hard drive (C:) is on IDE 0 it will say on the BIOS Primary Master and if you have any CD-ROM's or DVD-ROM's on IDE 1 it will be listed under Secondary.

Kalb 15:17 10 Oct 04

A little more info will help....'two disk drives'...do you mean HDD and a CD/DVD or do you mean two CD/DVD Rom drives ?
If the former then the HDD is usually on one IDE connection and the CD/DVD is on a separate IDE connection.
If the latter usually the top drive in the case is the master and the one below is the slave because of the way the IDE cable has to connect.
Check by R click My Computer - Properties - Hardware tab - Device Manager. Click + beside DVD/CD Rom Drives. Double click first drive and it should show Location 0 (as Master)
Double click second drive and it should show location 1 (as Slave)

ICF 15:22 10 Oct 04

Click My computer
Right click drive
Select properties
Hardware tab
Select drive
click properties
It tells you under the heading loaction.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…