Which IDE cable?

steved 22:13 23 Apr 03

Two hard drives, a DVD drive and a CD-writer - does it matter which go on the same IDE cable?Running WinXP...

flecc 22:20 23 Apr 03

The convention is to place the hard drives together on IDE 1, the CD Writer on the primary of IDE 2 and the DVD or CD ROM on the IDE 2 secondary, and that setup is generally the best.

It meets the expectations of the BIOS, generally gives the best CD Writer compatibility and gives the best hard drive performance.

caast ©™ 22:23 23 Apr 03

all been said above

powerless 22:25 23 Apr 03

I have the above and all is zipping along.

steved 22:26 23 Apr 03

Bloody Hell - now that's what I call a quick answer - thanks Flecc (that's how I'd connected, but thought I'd check...)

Djohn 22:29 23 Apr 03

We all agree then! so good luck. j :o)

woodchip 22:38 23 Apr 03

As Flecc say's, my Hard drive on 1/ DVD as master on 2/ and CDRW as Slave on 2/

Switcher 22:42 23 Apr 03

Sorry don't agree.

Primary IDE Cable HDD1 + DVD

Secondary IDE Cable HDD2 + CD Rom

This is my setup and works perfectly as far as I can see.

Had your other setup but had to change due to problems with two CD devices on same channel.

Djohn 22:49 23 Apr 03

Short extract from IDE cables.

=========================================

It works with all IDE and EIDE devices such as hard disk drives (HDD), CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-R, and CD-RW drives. Separate IDE cable connections for hard drives and CD ROMs are recommended. Sharing IDE cable between hard drive and CD ROM may slow access to your hard drive.

MAJ 23:32 23 Apr 03

I find it depends on the speed of your hard drives. If your hard drives are ATA33 or 66 then you won't notice a lot of difference if the CD-ROM drive is on the channel as the hard drive. But if your CD-ROM drive and rewriter are on the same channel and you like to copy "on the fly" then you can get data transfer (between CD-ROM and Rewriter) errors.

Switcher 00:15 24 Apr 03

MAJ

Agreed, and the problem I had was flagged as ERROR "READ and WRITE on same channel"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…