Which hardware modem?

961 08:27 03 Apr 04

Anyone recommend a reasonably priced true hardware modem for dial up or an internet site reviewing them?

Diodorus Siculus 08:37 03 Apr 04

Some of the Diamond MM modems are good if you can get one - I have two and they are excellent - and Suse Linux recognises them with no problems.

Stuartli 09:37 03 Apr 04

I've got a six-year-old Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro and, as Diodorus Siculus states, the brand is an excellent one.

Unfortunately, the buy out by Sonic Blue and then another company has played havoc with the task of finding the latest drivers, especially for XP.

This is one source (run by the latest owners, Best Data Products):

click here

plus another if needed:

click here

clayton 13:15 03 Apr 04

This is a good modem,56.6K PCI Hardware Fax/Modem (Connexant chipset) £9.33 plus del & vat

click here

Indigo 1 14:31 03 Apr 04

I always thought, "a modem is a modem" untill I tried Creative Modem Blaster V92 PCI data-fax. Certainly not the cheapest around but incredibly fast and reliable with good support and driver updates.

click here

click here

961 11:35 04 Apr 04

Cheers. Some good sites with much info

Had thought my days of reading up on modem technology were over until I pitted Windows XP and software modems against 5.6 miles to old analogue exchange and no chance of broadband until next century

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…