Which Hard Drive ?

SB23 15:23 11 Dec 05

With reference to one of my other posts click here regarding my very sick hard drive,which I have saved for a moment,I would just like to know if I should replace with another model from Seagate,or should I go for something else.I would assume I would go for another 80gb model as it does for my families needs,but am open to other suggestions.Also is there anything I need to be aware of before I purchase.....SB23

alan227 17:05 11 Dec 05

I have always found Maxtor relaible.
As you do not state whether the drive is PATA or SATA, I will assume it is a PATA (IDE) drive.
The only thing you need to ensure when changing the drive is that the jumper is set correctly, as this is your main drive it should be set to master.
Before you take out the old drive if you move the jumper to slave then you can drag & drop or copy & paste your old data across.

Fingees 17:11 11 Dec 05

It's worth getting a far bigger hard drive as 150Gb are now cheap and although you don't use it, you can never have one too big, as its used for virtual memory Etc.,

I would suggest you look at Novatech. click here

They stock many makes. I prefer Western Digital myself, but are slightly more expensive

SB23 17:11 11 Dec 05

It is IDE,is that all there is to it.I've managed to re-partition the OS,but I don't know how long it will be before it goes funny again.Will probably look into new HD next week.Will it clearly say what the drive is suited for,(IDE etc)......SB23

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 11 Dec 05

Hard dive size may depend on the age of your motherboard / BIOS (older boards have problems with drives over 137G).

An Eide (parrallal) 120G is certain to work without problems, the 3 biggest makers are Seagate Maxtor and Western Digital nothing really to choose betwen them except personal preferance.

SB23 20:09 11 Dec 05

Pc is about 3 years old,reluctant to get another seagate,due to what has happened,although after a low level format,a different partition,the OS has gone on without too many hiccups,but there's no telling how long it's gonna last.I need to go and have a browse.
One question I've not asked,how much do I need to spend on a decent drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 11 Dec 05

120G maxtor approx £50

Totally-braindead 20:52 11 Dec 05

The only comment I can make is get a good make Seagate which you've been unfortunate with, Maxtor, Western Digital etc. Get a 7200 rpm one instead of a 5400rpm one they are slightly faster and about the same price and get a larger one than you have now a 120 or 160 gig, the difference is small between them and an 80 gig one. And see if you can get one with a larger cache, a lot of them are 2mb cache but if you can get an 8mb cache one they too are a little bit faster.

Sorry that you faulty Seagate has put you off them, I find them to be good reliable drives, I think you were a bit unlucky. I also like Novatech they have this which is good click here if you want one the same size then they have this click here

SB23 20:52 11 Dec 05

That's what I figured to spend.Just been looking at ebuyer and a few others.Another question I have is how do I find out what spec mine is now.(rpm etc,etc) or if I buy a similar one (80gb)blah,blah,will it be ok?

SB23 20:57 11 Dec 05

The size of cache is just the speed at which it gets its info then? I've seen 2mb and 8mb and wondered what the difference was.On a 3 year old motherboard does it make a BIG difference,don't want more trouble once I've been put in.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 11 Dec 05

Everest Home Edition click here will tell you whats fitted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced