Which Graphics Card Upgrade?

Ben Avery (Work) 15:54 11 Feb 03

I currently have a ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card but I don't think it handles DirectX too well so I'm considering an upgrade. I was looking at the Radeon 9000, but what advice would you give?

Spec of PC is below:

*GA-7VTXE Mobo

*2x256MB (512MB) MB DDR RAM

*Athlon XP1600+ CPU (Volcano 5 Heatsink)

*300W PSU

*(currently) ATI Radeon 7000 AGP Grahics Card

*56K Modem (now defunct due to broadband - will be replacing with 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card)

*2 Port USB 1.1 PCI card (soon to be removed)

*10/100 Ethernet LAN PCI Card

*Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Soundcard

*Lite-on 48x DVD Drive

*Philips 40/16/10(?) CDRW Drive

*40GB Seagate Barracuda (want to add an external 40GB Drive when USB 2.0 PCI card is installed)

*Running Windows 2000 Professional.

Regards

BA

powerless 16:35 11 Feb 03

Save your money and go for a 9700 Pro - There'll probably be coming down in price when the Geforce FX becomes more available.

Both cards themselves are feature rich in technology that cannot really be utilised until the games support all those extra features.

The 9000 is on par or a little over with the Nvidia Geforce 4 MX range.

If you just want good graphics for games then ok the 9000 will give you that.

But if you really want something special go for the 9700 Pro.

scooby03 16:44 11 Feb 03

Go for the Radeon 9700 Pro, its a beast. Im running UT2003 all on max settings and its effortless. Drivers can be a probelm tho so dont upgrade to the DX9 versions until its out! This card should do the job on any game for the next 18 months.

Ben Avery (Work) 16:45 11 Feb 03

To be honest I don't play games very often at all! I own Theme Hospital and want to get the old classic Broken SAword but that's it. It's more a reliability issue I'm after. As I recall the 9700 Pro is some what different in price to the 9000 isn't it.

Will the 9000 (or any alternative you an think of) give me the reliability that I want? I use my PC for much more Video Clip Viewing than games, now if I had a Red Dwarf game......!

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 17:01 11 Feb 03

What's the difference between these cards? All of them are ATI Radeon 9000 Cards but have different prices etc:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

BA

powerless 17:08 11 Feb 03

Some have 64 MB of Memory, some have 128 MB of memory.

Some have a DVI option (for TFT's) Some do not.

The card manufactures are different, but the cards are using the 9000 or 9000 pro chip.

The last click here is a PCI card.

As you say you do not play games that much go for 64MB card. - Cheaper -

If you have a TFT montior go for the DVI option, if you do not have a TFT forget the DVI -cheaper-

Ben Avery 17:57 11 Feb 03

Thanks guys.

I think I'll go for this one then as it's reviewed well in PCA click here

Thank you!

BA

gingepaul 18:14 11 Feb 03

i've got a 3dconnect 9000pro 64mb, and it is emmense value for money, ut2003 in 1026x1280, all settings on high, only gets a bit jerky on magma, where the anisoptric filter strains under all the fire effects. unrea2 at same settings, but only 1 shadow, getting 20-40fps, same as some people with a 4600, anyway what i'm saying is go for the pro version, it kicks the arse out of gf4 mx range, and has dx8.1 feature support in hardware, so u will get all the wonderfull water and particle effects that the leading cards do, just not quite as good, the gf4 mx range doesnt support these features in hardware so they really struggle when asked to do them, thats why they just dont compete for value against ati's offering.
and all ati driver problems are pretty much ironed out now so dont listen to the anti ati mob doing the rounds, they are wrong.
ati, the way its meant to be played....lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…