Which Graphics card shall I buy?

mikejd1972 19:03 30 Jun 04

I've managed to narrow the choice down to 2! click here=

One being 128mb the other 256mb. If it makes any difference I have a 300W PSU, and an NVIDIA nforce2 chipset, 1gb of memory (128mb of which allocated to the onboard nvidia card!) and an asus motherboard.

Because I have an onboard card, in the bios I have to allocate the following:
Video frame buffer size - 128mb
Graphics aperture size - 128mb
MDA Access - PCI (choice between PCI or AGP)
Primary Video - AGP/Onboard

With an AGP card which will I have to change and will the memory therefore be 1024mb instead of 896 as at present?

Sorry if some of these questions seem a bit basic!

Cheers,

Mike

mikejd1972 19:15 30 Jun 04

Sorry link didnt seem to work, here they are separately!click here

click here

See if that works!

Mike

hugh-265156 19:15 30 Jun 04

your link didnt work sorry but almost any graphics card will be better than your current onboard.

agp apature size is unimportant really set it to 64 or 128 doesnt really matter or affect performance.

most motherboards auto detect the new agp card and set the shared memory to disabled along with the old onboard graphics when a new card is inserted. just make sure to uninstall any drivers for the old onboard via add remove programs first then shut down and install the new card and drivers.

your motherboard manual will tell you the correct procedure if you have a read.

mikejd1972 19:19 30 Jun 04

yep, separate links work now! seems easy enough installing just a problem choosing! only about £8 between them.

hugh-265156 19:23 30 Jun 04

both cards are the same except the 'lite' card will not have extra bundled games and cables in the box. this may be a good thing as most bundled games are naff anyway but a tv out composite lead or dvi-vga adapter may come in handy so its up to you.

i would also suggest you spend just a bit more and get the pro labled card if you can stretch that far as it will be much faster than the plain vanila 9600 card and last you longer. but as above even the plain 9600 will be so much better than what you have at the moment and play anything for some time to come at reasonable resolutions and settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…