Which Graphics Card do I go for?!?

Justhe1 13:24 08 Jan 04

Have just bought an 18.1" TFT display and have been looking at upgrading from the 3D on-board graphics of my Dell PC to a dedicated 3D graphics card. (my PC is a Dell Optilplex P4 2.4 with 512 Mb Ram)

It needs to have digital out for my new monitor and to be capable of handling games such as Tour of Duty.

I have looked on Dabs website and there are hundreds to choose from, They do a "no-name" 128Mb card with DVi & TV out etc for £50, this seems cheap - do you get what you pay for, or would this do me?

Can anyone recomend a particular card or point me in the right direction? I really don't want to pay over the £100 mark.....

I have carried out a search on previous similar threads and have seen that the ATI RAdion 9600, 9700 and 9800 are mentioned, can I get one of these for my budget? and will it siut my needs?

PC use will be General office use, gaming & occaisional DVD watching.

Finally would installing one of these cards effectively speed up the PC, as it would 'nt be using on board memory to process the graphics?

Sorry for all the questions, but am strugling on this!

Thanks in advance..

Mysticnas 13:39 08 Jan 04

using a dedicated AGP/graphics card does speed up your system, and the faster card you get the more it helps.

I'd reccomend a GeForce FX, look on click here
click here

you can pick them up for well under £100 now.

Mysticnas 13:44 08 Jan 04

i'd go the leadtek, you get a hell of a lot of card for what you pay! I'm on my 3rd. You get games, ViVo, DVD player and loads more stuff. Be fine for what you want!

had GF2 32mb, GF2Ultra 64mb, and now GF Ti4600 128mb.

click here

click here

Mysticnas 13:45 08 Jan 04
  Mysticnas 13:52 08 Jan 04
  Mysticnas 13:54 08 Jan 04
  Justhe1 14:16 08 Jan 04

Thanx for that Mysticnas, lots of sites to check out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…