Which graphics card to buy?

Mutant_Llama 14:31 08 Feb 03

I currently have a GF3 ti200 64MB DDR and was considering upgrading.

I have seen a GF4 ti4200 64MB DDR for about £130.00 and thought this was a good price.

I have also seen a GF4 ti4600 128MB DDR for £220.00 and while it doubles the memory is the difference in price worth it?

Failing that should I go for an ATI 9700?

I am not sure if the GF4 support DX9. While I do not want to really spend over £200 I do not want to find myself lagging in graphics performance in a couple of months.

Help?

Phil930 14:40 08 Feb 03

Graphics cards have that problem that as soon as you buy them they are out of date!!

Out of the cards you listed the best performance comes from the ATI 9700. Along with very good reports about this card it appears ATI have stable drivers now which always hindered their cards.

Having said that i have always gone for NVidia based cards. There is no DX9 support from the GF4, however, by the time DX9 is fully utilised and programmers are really exploring it we will be on something like the GF15!!

In terms of price, depends who you choose to make your card. You can purchase GF4 Ti4600's for under £200, and these cards are based purely on NVidia's reference board. Or, quality brands such as Gainward can be found who apparantly use better components. I have a Creative GF4 Ti4600, while very loud it has great performance.

Its worth looking at comparisons between the cards as i'm not to sure how much performance difference there is between a Ti4200 and Ti4600. why not go the middle route, a Ti4400!

My decision at the end of the day came from the feeling that if i didn't buy the top card at the time i bought it then i would regret it as i would always be one step behind even after spending a considerable amount of money.

My advice, go for the ATI 9700, shop around though!

kennyambler 14:40 08 Feb 03

You may find the ti4600 a bit cheaper @www.navatech.com,this is a superb card.
Ken

kennyambler 14:41 08 Feb 03

The ti4600 is a bit cheaper at novatech.com

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…