//some 3rd party need geo

which graphics card is better?

zincy 19:50 29 Dec 05

Hello there

Having read through many threads about graphics card i have come to the conclusion that i will get either click here or this one click here.

I was wondering which one shall i get? I need a AGP graphics card and my current system is amd xp 3200+ with 1 gig of ram. I am looking to play games like battefield 2 and world of warcraft at medium to high with 1280x1024 resolution. My budget is around £120-130

Many thanks
zincy

Skyver 19:54 29 Dec 05

The 6800 is more powerful especially at higher res, bargain at that price.

Klappers 22:05 29 Dec 05

I'd also go with the 6800, but make sure your power supply is up to it.

GaT7 00:12 30 Dec 05

Article & benchmarks click here. G

zincy 01:06 30 Dec 05

I also noticed one (6600 GT) has HDTV ready.. what does this mean? will it make much difference as i have a HDTV but was wondering what does it do exactly? Is it worth it?

thanks for the responses

GaT7 16:20 30 Dec 05

From the XFX product manual (click here) it says, "HDTV-output brings content from your desktop to your high-definition TV." - which I think means it isn't a bog standard TV-out (like most older graphics cards have), but one that is enhanced so it can be connected to your HD TV.

I couldn't find anything on the nVidia website that explains what it entails, but this is what ATI have to say about it (from click here):

"Q22: What does ATI mean when they say that the Radeon® is "HDTV ready"? What can a user do with the Radeon® HDTV decode capability?
A22: Radeon® is capable of decoding all of the HDTV formats with reduced CPU utilization and of directly driving both analog and digital high definition displays. Radeon® achieves its decode capability through motion compensation and iDCT and without the need for any external hardware. When Radeon® is used with the appropriate DTV tuner and DTV demodulator software, the user will be able to view HDTV on their monitor or TV."

From nVidia though, see "How do I setup my NVIDIA based card to work with my HDTV?" - click here.

"Is it worth it?" - I don't think there's a price difference between cards that are HDTV ready & those that are not (or is there?). G

GaT7 16:29 30 Dec 05

* "HDTV-out: The component out port allows you to send video signals to a HDTV display. Note, GeForce 6 based cards with DVI can also support HDTV via DVI connector or with optional HDMI adapter" - from click here & sroll down

* Custom Horizontal Timings for HDTV or Consumer Electronics displays - Do NVIDIA based graphics cards support 1366x768,1380x768, or 1366x1024 resolution PLASMA/LCD (HDTV) displays? - click here

* Consumer Electronic Display Ready - click here

* Can I span an HDTV with a non-HDTV display? - click here

Hope this helps. G

User-312386 16:32 30 Dec 05

6800 has 12 pixel pipelines

I beleive the 6600 has 8 pixel pipelines

I could be wrong

zincy 19:22 30 Dec 05

Madboy you are correct and i read in the reveiws the 6800 can open up to 16 pixel pipelines.

Thanks for the info Crossbow7, from what I understand it may seem better with a HDTV output.. therefore i may have to look for another card with 6800 and HDTV output

Thanks for the guidance

GaT7 21:10 30 Dec 05

Are you sure you're going to use it? You'll need the adaptors/cabling, & may not be desireable or practical if they are too far apart. G

zincy 17:12 31 Dec 05

thats what i'm debating as whether do i really need it, the monitors are close enough.. but i dont want to get one without and then realise I would liek one with HDTV.. anyways i think i know which one to get now
Mnay thanks
zincee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…