Which format for DVD writer?

y_not 17:45 22 May 03

I am (finally) about to buy a DVD writer but, as I intend to send a number of DVD's to other people which format should I buy?

There seems to be a view that the minus format is the more common. I know that Sony produce a dual format (at a premium) but even so, I assume that I must chose which format to write to.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Tony

BigMoFoT 17:51 22 May 03

DVD-R is the most common and cheapest format and as most drives only do -R it is usually the most common option. The Sony drive is expensive but it is a very nice drive and has been reviewed and recomended in PCA. I think TEAC and Pioneer now also do a dual format drive but I am not sure.

If you are 'producing' DVD's for other people then I would recommend a dual format drive as some stand alone players will either only do +R or -R.

Try click here they have a nive selection of writers.

y_not 17:57 22 May 03

Many thanks BigMoFoT.

The DVD's I produce are a mix of video (weddings etc. & still photo's in "slideshows" which, so far, I have produced on SVCD's without too many problems).

The bit I don't know is, if I opt for a dual writer which format shoould I write to or do I have to chose?

-pops- 18:00 22 May 03

click here

Note the price £199.00 includes VAT.

Brian

BigMoFoT 18:01 22 May 03

Yeah your choice mate - DVD + is a more secure data format and better quality, but thats at a price. For example 100 blank DVD-R on Scan is around £50 but 100 blank +R is around £150.

For what your doing I would have thought -R would be fine - use plus for special occasions.

y_not 18:16 22 May 03

Thanks guys - think that answer it for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…