which format to compress audio to?

lonemascot 20:23 07 Jan 07

at 128kbps what is better WMA, AAC or MP3? i got an ipod but dont know whether to use aac or mp3.

vinnyT 13:09 08 Jan 07

I prefer wma, but would suggest that you rip 2-3 songs in to both mp3 and aac and seeing which you prefer, as your hearing will be different to mine.

Really though, if I had an ipod, I would rip to mp3, this way if the ipod breaks down in a couple of years time (if you're lucky) all your music will be in a format that does not restrict you to buying from one manufacturer (ie apple), so if you see a player from creative that you like your songs will still play.

Hope this helps.

AB's 15:34 08 Jan 07

Gotta be MP3, personal choice of course, but i hate wma

lonemascot 22:06 08 Jan 07

Just what I wanted to hear because I just converted all 15 GB of music to MP3 last night.

vinnyT 10:46 09 Jan 07

Welcome

wotbus@ 11:24 09 Jan 07

I know it's closed but would like to comment. WMP11 claims to rip better quality WMA than mp3. From an audible point of view I doubt if anyone could tell the difference just by listening. The real criteria is the format required by the playback media and, of course, personal choice ;-)

AB's 13:02 10 Jan 07

As you said wotbus@,The real criteria is the format required by the playback media, as some MP3 players wil not play wma etc, nor will many Mobile phones with built in mp3 players.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…