Which fonts required for Linux

csqwared 15:44 PM 13 Nov 11
Answered

Having just done a re-install of Linux Mint 11 I have realised how many fonts are installed by default. Which of them do I really need??

Tks

cc

LastChip 16:47 PM 13 Nov 11

Fonts in Linux are a minimal overhead, I'd leave them alone.

You may also want to check that you have the Microsoft standard fonts installed. I can't remember whether Mint installs them as standard or not.

If you have (for example) Comic Sans MS, you already have them. If not go to your package manager and look for msttcorefonts.

Like it or not, not having those can make browsing unpleasant, as many websites use Arial or Verdana fonts.

csqwared 18:21 PM 13 Nov 11
Answer

Thanks for that LastChip. Mint doesn't install the MS fonts as standard but I've already installed the msttcorefonts package, although the installer now asks for an agreement which it didn't used to, something to do with Microsoft themselves I believe. It was the concern of over wasted space that prompted the question but since you suggest that's minimal I'll leave well alone. Thanks again.

cc

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites