Which Flat screen?

Ian-221439 13:08 02 Oct 03

Hi everyone.

I'm facing a dillemna ive just bought an alienware area 51 extreme.My problem is ive been looking at flat screens but i dont which to plump for im looking at a budget of £500.00 for my screen i already own a 19" CRT which upto date has served me well, now i feel i need to move on i use my systems for video editing and gaming mostly so the refresh rate is very important i believe. Can any one suggest a Flat screen monitor or to the fact should i just stay with my CRT.

Thankyou :o)

Rayuk 18:16 02 Oct 03

Have you looked at PCAdvisors top ten list.
You can have a trip to PCWorld have a look what they have working

Proxy worm 20:22 02 Oct 03

try samsung as it will go brill with the alienware. with 500 budget buy a samsung 17 or 18 or chip in some more and buy 19.

dotterel 19:40 03 Oct 03

Do a search on this site and the consumerwatch site - there have been lots of postings about TFT screens. Everybody seems delighted with them (me included!) £500 should get you a very good one. Ignore prices in any magazine reviews. They are nearly always way out of date, even current issues. Happy hunting!

-pops- 19:51 03 Oct 03

The only way you can really decide is to see them in action.

What you view the output on your computer on is a very personal thing. Myself, I wouldn't give a second look to a "flat screen". My son thinks they are the best things in the world.

AubreyS 20:05 03 Oct 03

I've just bought the Dell Ultrasharp 1800FP click here I'm very please with it. Shop around the price can vary a lot.

Ironman556 21:01 03 Oct 03

I think you mean Flat Panel (ie. TFT), a Flat Screen can also mean a CRT with, literally a flat instead of curved screen, and from what I've seen in PCW they do look good.

However, I have an LG1710B, does analogue/digital inputs (DVI), USB ports in stand, colours good etc. ~£350 I would recommend for gaming (played everything from Warcraft to UT2003) and great still images too.

I have a mate with an oldish 15" Syncmaster, they paid about £550 for it a couple of years ago, and I have to say the colours are better, and light on the screen doesn't dim the inages as much as other TFT's seem to, so if you want to spend your whole budget on one of the best monit0rs around, get a (Samsung, I think) Syncmaster, but otherwise go for an LG1710B, save some money, and you won't be disappointed.

Ironman.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now