Which Firewalls/AV are still free....And which is

malwarehater 17:24 30 Dec 05

Hi guys.

Anyone know which of the free firewalls and AV progs around are the best??....And which are still free? because i've noticed some of them are now Payware so to speak.

By "best" i mean...best at stopping/removing/detecting viruses, and "best" performance wise- as in good performance but still processer friendly?

Thanks in advance guys.

Gongoozler 17:47 30 Dec 05

ZoneAlarm and Avast for me.

Stuartli 17:50 30 Dec 05

Fully support Gongoozler's suggestion.

Plus Microsoft AntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware SE 1.6 and Search and Destroy (compatible with Ad-Aware) for other nasties.

interzone55 17:50 30 Dec 05

Ditto

Both are still free in their basic versions, but these are more than adequate for home use.

Many people swear by AVG for AV, so perhaps you could look at this as well.

AVG auto updates once a day though, but so far today Avast has installed 3 updates on my system, that's pretty rapid updating for free software.

cylon 18:08 30 Dec 05

I am currently renovating a MAC. What free firewalls and AV programs are out there for the MAC

kdt 20:20 30 Dec 05

PC ADVISOR HAD MCAFEE FIREWALL ON CD FREE AND THOUGH I PAY FOR MCAFEE ONLINE VIRUSCAN INSTALLED AVAST ON MY DAUGHTER'S PC

rdave13 20:32 30 Dec 05

Heard that loud and clear! :)

Sygate is another good firewall.Unfortunately AOL broadband doesn't like it but provides Mcafee firewall free to AOL users.Runs quietly as a mouse in the background.

namtaf 23:23 30 Dec 05

Avast! and avg for me (both do a very good job although Avast! looks nicer)

Adaware for the spyware/adware (sorry, hate spybot and webroot)

Regcleaner for a tidyup

don't know about current firewalls because I'm behind a router with built in firewall

Stuartli 23:28 30 Dec 05

The difference between Avast! and AVG is that Avast! updates itself when you go online if any updates are available.

One less thing to worry about...:-)

palinka 14:56 31 Dec 05

I used AVG, switched to Avast for a while because of a conflict with ZA, but couldn't stand the look of Avast(sorry namtaf!)so returned to AVG. Yes, you can only set it to AUTO-update once a day, but you can often get extra manual updates the same day, and if you're on line a lot it's only 2 clicks away. I now use Sygate (still free)which I prefer to ZA; and from time to time I run A-squared, adaware, spybot and stinger. All of these are free.

Belatucadrus 15:37 31 Dec 05

I've never seen the appearance of the user interface as a significant factor in choosing anti virus, but when you consider the range of options available click here disliking the aesthetics seems an odd reason to return to something that's giving conflict problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…