Which firewall to replace ZA?

Dipso 21:17 09 Aug 04

I am having problems with my ADSL connection and it has been suggested that they could be to do with ZA. Maybe it isn't ZA but I am exploring all avenues.

So, which firewall (free) do you suggest I replace it with. I have heard good things about Kerio and Sygate. What are these like for ease of set up and use.

Does anyone recommend any others.

Would appreciate your opinions.

Valvegrid 21:21 09 Aug 04

When I use Windows, i've got Sygate installed. I have found it very good and more configurable than ZA, so it needs a bit more time on setting it up.

smudge101 22:25 09 Aug 04

I doubt it is ZA causing the problem, I have used it on an adsl for 12 months and never had a problem. True, it can be tricky configuring a firewall but you will find that with all of them, but my personal opinion is ZA is one of the easier ones.
Try uninstalling it and reinstall, choose the option to preconfigure for internet access. Also go to the programs section and make sure you have your browser and email client selected to allow access.
This may seem a sill question but can you access the internet with no firewall running?

Dipso 22:35 09 Aug 04

I have been using it successfully with my ADSL connection for over 12 months myself but I have just upgraded to 1Meg and am now experiencing slow downloads. A few people have suggested it could be ZA. I am not totally convinced but as I am not happy updating to v5 anyway, I thought I would take this opportunity to try something new.

johnnyrocker 22:36 09 Aug 04

must admit i had za pro and dumped it in the end in favour of sygate which i am very pleased with.

johnny.

hugh-265156 23:14 09 Aug 04

outpost is good for another free firewall but its not as user friendly click here

ps. to test if it is zonealarm causing the problem maybe shut down zonealarm temporarly and see if your connection is any better. open zonealarm and click 'overview/preferences' and untick 'load at start up' then restart the computer.

to get ZA starting up again, open it via 'start/all programs' and put the tick back.

son-of-a-gun 23:26 09 Aug 04

Sygate is the one for me, less fussy and stands up well to Norton symantec tests

Belatucadrus 23:31 09 Aug 04

Kerio

Dipso 21:26 10 Aug 04

My ISP advised to completely uninstall ZA rather than just shut it down which I did. There was no change in the download speed situation though.

I have downloaded Sygate and Kerio and have tried Sygate first. It does take a bit of getting used to after ZA but I intend to give it a fair chance.

However, my main reason for changing was to see if my ADSL connection improved, which it hasn't and as others with my ISP are reporting similar problems it now seems that it is more likely to be a contention issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…