which firewall???? Internet problems

ReyesKing 13:34 20 Feb 05

i recently removed sygate as it appeared to slow down my internet speed. i am currently using the firewall in teh security centre (sp2) provided by Microsoft. iv heard about zonealarm aswell. which is the best to use? also what can i do to maximise internet efficiency. i recently have noticed a dramatic slowing down of internet speed even though i regulary run disc cleanup and clear cookies nearly every 3 days. thankyou

ReyesKing 13:54 20 Feb 05

helooo?

ACOLYTE 14:11 20 Feb 05

I doubt if your firewall would have any impact on you net connection speed,Za is a good firewall but me personally i prefere the one you uninstalled, sygate and it has never slowed my net speed down if you speed as dropped really slow you could try a spy ware scan to see if there is anything using the bandwidth and connecting without your knowledge.

961 14:16 20 Feb 05

If you have a dramatic slow down of internet speed then you need to consider a clean up.

Suggest Spybot search and destroy, Spywareblaster, and adaware for a start. They are all free.

Then you need a good firewall. Zone Alarm is as good as any. That's free. Zone Alarm Pro is the tops. Around £25 per annum

You don't say which virus checker you use. I suggest F-Secure. You'll get a free 30 day trial and if you take up the offers that come during that time it will cost about £25

If you use Norton or MacAfee these can slow down your system

ReyesKing 15:38 20 Feb 05

hi i use Norton IS 2005. Whenever i open an internet page it takes a long time to load up now. also when i type in a site it takes along time. what can i do?

961 15:41 20 Feb 05

Norton is reputed to slow down your computer

How long have you had it, and does the slow down co-incide with the slow down

961 15:43 20 Feb 05

Sorry, does the slow down co-incide with when you installed Norton?

ReyesKing 15:52 20 Feb 05

no, i deleted all of the temp folder including temp internet files. Norton sadly slows down shutdown logoff and restart while a process called ccApp closes.

961 16:36 20 Feb 05

I'm not a fan of Norton

Can I suggest a scan for a virus. You still don't say which virus checker you use, but assuming it is Norton, try another on-line checker.

The great difficulty is installing another virus checker plus the updates before you uninstall what you have

I don't think Sygate will slow down the computer but neither do I think the new Microsoft firewall is anywhere near Sygate or Zone Alarm

If you noticed a slow down then either you have picked up a virus or the Norton jobbie is hogging your processor speed and Ram

citadel 17:32 20 Feb 05

I have used norton av and firewall and it has never slowed the internet or any programs. Even with both enabled I played half-life 2 at high detail with no slowdown while connected to the internet.

hzhzhz 20:50 20 Feb 05

I got rid of norton firewall a while ago and now rely on MS firewall. I run Norton antivirus and spyware doctor and AOL spyware remover. System has been perfect for a while now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…