Which firewall do you all recommend?

Happy37 20:02 16 Nov 07

Hi all

As per my question above, which firewall do you all recommend?

I am asking this as I have used Zone Alarm Free over the years and it doesn’t fit my needs any more as it doesn't work with ICS on a full Stealth level in Windows XP Pro.

I am looking at the Pro version of Zone Alarm - what do you all think?

Also, has anyone tried and do you recommend Ashampoo's firewalls - Free or Pro versions?

Are Ashampoo's firewalls (Free and Pro) both recognised by Windows Security Centre in Windows XP or not as they are the Free version is not being recognised by Windows XP Pro at the moment on my 2 PCs???

Anyone care to share their thoughts as I am looking to use a free product that would work on my 2 PC network? I am also looking to pay for a Pro version of any product that would work as I would want it to?

However, I do not want to pay for any firewall with a subscription charge or charges as I have simply managed without a subscription up to date?

Please advise? - thanks for your help.....

Regards

birdface 20:06 16 Nov 07

Comodo Has the No1 spot in a recent survey,I use kerio myself,but if I had to switch I know where I would go.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 16 Nov 07

Sygate click here

mfletch 20:11 16 Nov 07

I;m with buteman,

I use this one Comodo/ click here

mfletch

Happy37 20:19 16 Nov 07

Hi all

I forgot to mention that I have already used Comodo Firewall Pro and am looking for another as I have been getting far too many “false positives”...i.e. far too many prompts asking for the same info time and time again about programs which I have previously given access to...e.g. to connect to the Net and so on?

How do the other Comodo users who have replied here deal with this scenario if they have already come across it?

Please advise - thanks once again for all replies.

SB23 20:22 16 Nov 07

I'm with buteman aswell on this one.

I used to use the free version of ZA, but was getting problems, again.
I switched back to Comodo, as I've used it in the past. Its been going now for about 6 weeks, and have not encountered any problems whatsoever.

Not to mention, that as buteman has said, Comodo is doing very well for itself at the moment.

Try it, if you don't like it, try something else, I do, lol!

Steve

Happy37 20:23 16 Nov 07

Also, has anyone tried and do you recommend Ashampoo's firewalls - Free or Pro versions?

I am looking to purchase the Pro version of Ashampoo Firewall Pro - would you all recommend this or not?

Are Ashampoo's firewalls (Free and Pro) both recognised by Windows Security Centre in Windows XP or not as they are the Free version is not being recognised by Windows XP Pro at the moment on my 2 PCs???

Happy37 20:24 16 Nov 07

Hi all

I forgot to mention that I have already used Comodo Firewall Pro and am looking for another as I have been getting far too many “false positives”...i.e. far too many prompts asking for the same info time and time again about programs which I have previously given access to...e.g. to connect to the Net and so on?

How do the other Comodo users who have replied here deal with this scenario if they have already come across it?

Please advise - thanks once again for all replies.

Happy37 20:27 16 Nov 07

@Fruit Bat /\0/\

Is Sygate fully recognised by Windows XP?

birdface 21:17 16 Nov 07

You might pick something from this selection.click here

SB23 21:27 16 Nov 07

Yes you are right with regard to the prompts.
I wouldn't exactly call them false positives, but I do know what you mean.
The way I look at it is the fact, that, as far as I'm concerned the firewall is doing what I put it there to do. I do tick to remember the action, but if another program trying to connect to the internet needs my permission then so be it. I would rather that, than have stuff not working because the firewall hasn't asked, which does happen.

With regards to Ashampoo firewalls, although I have / do use some of their programs, I've stayed away from the firewalls as, from what I've seen and read, they are not quite up to what Comodo and a few others can do.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…