Which firewall

tony654321 18:30 22 Jul 05

Hi

I was using the windows XP firewall for a while before getting a trial version of Bullguard(includes antivirus, firewall and online backup for those who don't know). I thought the antivirus was good so I brought the latest version(5.0). After updating I couldn't use the internet anymore unless I disabled the firewall. After contacting customer support several times I haven't got any useful help. Anyway I'm now thinking of getting a different firewall. I'm concerned about security so I want the best I can afford. I have read reviews about various firewalls but still don't know which ones best. I was thinking maybe Norton. Does anyone have any advice for me. Also does anyone know whether the windows XP firewall is very secure or not.

Taw® 18:33 22 Jul 05

A lot of discussion on this in the past and horses for courses really. If you use the seach bar to the left to search the site you will find many helpful postings on this matter. Personally I used Zone alarm free for a long while and eventually moved over to sygate personal, again free. both do an excellent job for the home user.

mattyc_92 18:34 22 Jul 05

Try ZoneAlarm click here

It's FREE.

VoG II 18:34 22 Jul 05

The Windows fire wall is inbound only so it won't stop trojans, spyware etc. calling home.

Zone Alarm is good and free click here

Technotiger 18:37 22 Jul 05

Hi, I used to use ZA, but found that Kerio Personal Firewall (also Free) very much better.
If you download and install Kerio you get the Full Version for one month, this then reverts to the Free Version which is every bit as good IMHO.
It is very very much easier to use than ZA.
click here

Cheers.

dogbreath1 20:30 22 Jul 05

...but then it might make it harder to decide! click here

tony654321 21:06 22 Jul 05

I guess since ZoneAlarm is free theres no harm in trying it. What are the differences between the free version and the pro version. I will try Kerio too. Its hard to know what protection you are actually getting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…