Which files to save from failing HDD?

algernonymous 19:03 04 Apr 07

I've copied My Docs, email folder, and favourites from a possibly failing HDD to a good 'un, are there any others that may be required?

Technotiger 19:07 04 Apr 07

Possibly your My Pictures and/or My Music.

Technotiger 19:10 04 Apr 07

Or - better still if you could do a full backup of your old drive before it dies. Acronis True Image can backup absolutely Everything in one go, doesn't take long and would get you back to exactly as you were at the time of the backup.

algernonymous 19:11 04 Apr 07

They're in My Documents folder.!

jack 19:31 04 Apr 07

Acronis is the way wI guess especially you have a modern machine with preloaded operating system.

Otherwise only your documents - trsnsferring programs manually is a nono they have to be reloaded.

algernonymous 19:42 04 Apr 07

Unfortunately I am only able to access the drive in safe mode, and am unable to use cd drives. I have simply been copy/pasting from one drive to the other.

algernonymous 21:35 04 Apr 07

B^U^M^P

algernonymous 22:23 06 Apr 07

Anyone else?

Quiet Life 23:16 06 Apr 07

Windows Transfer Wizard.
Programs>Accessories>System Tools >Wizard for transfer of definitions and files.

This is good for transferring and setting up in new drive.
My terminology might be slightly different as this machine has XP in Portuguese.

woodchip 23:23 06 Apr 07

The problem is, If you try using Acronis and it detects bad sectors it will stop working and will not create the Image

Batch 12:16 07 Apr 07

The one thing you really need to transfer is YOUR data. Reasonably, this would constitute:

- "My Documents" and any other similar folders that you have created elsewhere that contain your data (maybe music, photos etc.).

- Emails

- Address Book

- Favourites

- Normal.Dot (if you use MS Word). The reason for this is that is where your customisations, such as macros, are stored.

- Details of email accounts (email addresses, servers).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…