Which files do i copy to make a new ME disc

llbgeezer 00:06 11 Aug 03

i would like to know if its possible to reformat without the windows ME CD and codes (it came preinstalled) for example by writing the os files to a CD myself

hugh-265156 00:41 11 Aug 03

if it came preinstalled you should have a recovery floppy.the OS is on a hidden partition of your hard drive thet the floppy will access.

some pcs give you the option to write your own master discs using burning software.this will free up that hidden partition.

i made my master discs and then found after checking that they were corrupt.luckily for me packard bell were sympathetic and sent me new ones.

llbgeezer 01:07 11 Aug 03

how can i check that i have a partition to be accessed with the restore floppy.... further, can i not partition part of my available memory to which i can write all my saves before formatting the C drive?
i have easy CD creator and burn with that normally but do i just copy the windows folder to disk or what?
i really want to have back the performance i used to know <sigh>

hugh-265156 01:13 11 Aug 03

sorry i didnt word that very well.

the restore floppy should have came with your pc from the manufacturer.

if you format the drive all the information will be lost.dont do it.

give the manufacturer a call.most are usually very good about these things.

hugh-265156 01:22 11 Aug 03

if your floppy came with the pc you will need to set the pc to boot from this first.

enter the bios by tapping the key when prompted on screen,just as the pc starts.its usually F1 F2 OR delete.then set the first boot device as floppy.save and exit.

pop the floppy in the drive and restart.you then should have an option to do either a full system restore(factory settings) or just windows.

llbgeezer 01:28 11 Aug 03

then set the first boot device as floppy.save and exit.
im not exactly sure what you mean by this im afraid <PUTS ON DUNCES HAT>

hugh-265156 01:37 11 Aug 03

in my bios(it will no doubt be different for you)the option to do this is under advanced configuration and listed as boot device priority click here(halfway down for an example)

hugh-265156 01:39 11 Aug 03

should have asked you this at the start,what is the make and model of your pc and bios please?

llbgeezer 01:45 11 Aug 03

i have a packard bell iconnect 1270 with an amd duron 750 mhz processor, as for bios i can only say i have a halley motherboard and i dont even know whether the bios is related to the motherboard manufacturer =)

hugh-265156 01:49 11 Aug 03

click here and as its a packard bell it should be F2 to enter the bios just after you turn on the pc.

llbgeezer 10:58 11 Aug 03

before i try to do anything i'll be in touch with packard bell about an Me OS disc... i am used to it, like it and am generally confident with it... but then there'll be no stopping me :)
I look forward to proper performance again :))))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…