Which file system

korkyB 07:44 30 Mar 03

I am currently using FAT32 and am wondering if there might be any benifit to converting to NTFS.

Are there any problems associated with this and is it worth doing.

Thanks for any advice.

-pops- 08:33 30 Mar 03

What is your operating system? You cannot convert Windows 9x or Me.

Having said that, there isn't a lot of point for general home use in converting to NTFS unless you are using large hard drives (> 32GB).

The real advantages of NTFS show much more in professional/office use where that extra security and other bits and bobs have some relevance.

Another case of if it ain't broke - - - -.

If you're happy with the way your system runs, leave it alone!

Brian

Taran 11:27 30 Mar 03

Microsoft recommend NTFS on drives larger than 32gb for those operating systems that support the file format. This, obviously, is a generalisation and much depends on personal requirements and preferences.

NTFS can be a more stable and efficient environment and it does offer some very nice security features. You wil note that I said it "can be a more stable and efficient environment", not that it would guarantee to be.

The advice given above is sound; if your current system is working fine - leave well alone. However, if you like the idea of being able to support file encryption and similar security utilities as well as some of thre other tricks an NTFS system can do, give some serious thought to it.

Before making any final decision, keep in mind that many people experience very real issues with constant paging, where hard disk activity almost never ceases and your system may be unresponsive or sluggish for some time after first starting. This is not a side effect that everyone experiences, but it can and does happen and can be a chore to sort out unless you know how.

Coaster3 11:38 30 Mar 03

I have two 40gig HDDs both on the NTFS file system. I often notice that my computers HDD light is constantly on although, looking at it now, it is off. Is the NTFS file system responsible for this?

Taran 11:50 30 Mar 03

No, it is not the NTFS file system that is directly responsible, but rather the way in which Windows uses the paging file (swap file) on an NTFS system.

You can do all kinds of tricks to improve this, such as create a dedicated paging file partition on your D: drive.

In fact this is perhaps the best performance increase you can give any NTFS based system - by removing the paging file from the same disk that runs the operating system files, you almost eliminate this constant disk accessing and you can often see a real performance benefit. Limiting the page file to a specific partition size also prevents Windows from letting it grow to unnecessarily silly sizes during heavy use.

This is not the case if you create a multiple disk paging file, which some people mistakenly do.

Just run a search in Google for "paging file"+"performance" for more information than you can shake a stick at.

regards

Taran

special sophie 12:29 30 Mar 03

Hi all I don't have much space and currently have my 15" montior sat next to my 14" TV so i was thinking of getting rid of both and buying either a 19" monitor and a TV card or a 21" TV and attaching that to the TV out on my ATI 9000pro graphics card. Could someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of using either of these setups. I use my PC for many things Internet, watching movies, quite a lot of gaming, a lot of image editing and graphic design, video editing and also music production.
Thanks in advance

special sophie 12:30 30 Mar 03

opps i didn't mean to post that here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…