which external hard drive to purchase

daisy2bell 16:34 14 Oct 06

I am looking to purchase an external hard drive , to back up my date etc. which brands are the best ones to go for.
Thanks

Technotiger 19:21 14 Oct 06

Hi, most brands are as good as each other, I think mostly it is just personal preference or, in my case, price, that decides me which to buy.
I have a 80gb Maxtor internal drive and a 160gb Maxtor usb drive - I am happy with both.

Cheers.

conrail 20:27 14 Oct 06

I have the pica one 250 Gb external drive, came with software that allowed me to do a complete system backup, which I have used to back up 2 pc's and 2 laptops, no problems

daisy2bell 09:24 15 Oct 06

Thanks Guys, I'll head towards PC world and see what they have.

Tycho 09:32 15 Oct 06

I have just bought a 300GB Maxtor from Novatech for a total of £95.

Good value, I thought

T

fitshase 09:59 15 Oct 06

I have the Buffalo Linkstation as an external drive. It links up via a network cable instead of USB so you can share the drive on a home network. It also has the advantage of having a built in usb print server so you can share printers on the network as well.

Slightly more expensive than a standalone external HDD but for me it is worth it as I use 3 computers at home and can share the data and printer amongst them all.

FatboySlim71 10:00 15 Oct 06

I bought this one around 4 months ago, I realise its more expensive than the larger bodied drives but my needs were that I wanted an easily transportable external hard drive and this one fitted the bill perfectly, its designed for a laptop and is powered from the USB so it requires no external power supply in most cases, if your scenario is the same as mine I can highly recommend this external, Below is the manafacturers website.

click here

FatboySlim71 10:01 15 Oct 06

Forgot to mention that Western Digital are one of the highest quality brands in Hard drives!

daisy2bell 13:52 15 Oct 06

Went along to Comet and went for a Iomega 320GB
Thanks for all your replys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…