which external hard drive?

puma22 21:18 02 Oct 05

Hi, i want to store my pics and video to an external drive. I have usb and fire-wire can anyone suggest best product? should i go for usb or firewire? what size to ensure it doesnt fill too quickly?
Cheers

woodchip 22:17 02 Oct 05

Why not build your own as I did? a USB2 Case and a Seagate Barracuda 200Gb drive set to master partitioned into four. Lot cheaper than buying ready built

Bagsey 08:45 03 Oct 05

I Like the sound of that external HD that you built. Please can you give a more detailed explanation of what is required and how to set it up for use on a laptop. Not a novice but not much into building stuff. Thanks for any help

puma22 09:34 03 Oct 05

Woodchip as Bagsey asks sounds good, how do you do it?

Rigga 10:58 03 Oct 05

I've just ordered one of these > click here <

250gb external USB2 £96.70 inc VAT and Del

R.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:29 03 Oct 05

Do as Rigga suggsts. The HD is a very good price. An external caddy is around £30 and fitting the HD is so simple but Rigga's link is probably cheaper. 250Gb is a huge amount and you can always buy another if it gets full.

Firewire or USB2, you will not notice the difference.

In 2005 there is absolutely no need to partition the drive, total waste of time. Just store the items in folders on a single partition using drag n'drop or 'send to'.

G

puma22 13:08 03 Oct 05

Rigga and Gandalf, thanks for the information. I am a bit wary of using pixmania after receiving electronci goods from them with every language but English in the istruction books. Can anyone suggest an alternative?
Cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:22 03 Oct 05

You will not need any instructions, thre HD is easy to set up....all you do is plug it in and if you need any help post here. click here are excellent for delivery and the LaCie 250Gb HD is the one that I would go for...

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:23 03 Oct 05

£96.68 inc. VAT....Try Staples as well, they had some good HDs in recently.

G

Pidder 18:35 03 Oct 05

Got my caddy from click here

woodchip 18:40 03 Oct 05

I am sorry I have not been on to read your response.
I got the case from a Computer fair about £22.00 and Hard Drive from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…