Which ethernet router - US Robotics or Linksys?

Christopher Lewis 10:22 26 Jan 04

I am planning a home network (wired) to link 3 PCs, a laptop, and a printer. I am not sure which router to use.

US Robotics USR018000A has enough ports (4) and can also act as a printer server. However there don't seem to be many posts about it, and they tend to complain about how difficult the set up is.

On the other hand the Linksys BEFSR41 seems has good reviews and seems easy to set up, but only has four ports, so either I run the printer off one of the PCs (which would have to be running) or I buy a separate printer server device.

Does anyone have experience of the US Robotics router or thoughts about either system?

Thanks
Christopher

Christopher Lewis 10:26 26 Jan 04

Sorry - forgot to mention that I will be linking to ntl, using a cable modem with an ethernet socket. According to their specs, both routers can accept this.

SEASHANTY 12:21 26 Jan 04

I have NTL 600k BB with two PC's connected to the internet via the Linksys BEFSR41 cable/dsl router with 4 port switch using straight thru Cat 5 cables with RJ45 plugs either end for ethernet connection.
Now been using it over a year now and its worked fine. The router is about £45 from Dabs ( or double that price at PC World.) The Linksys website is very helpful. The setup wizard for this router is on this
link. Just follow it through.
click here

Kitz E Kat 12:57 26 Jan 04

You should check out SMC first..
They have a good range of routers with modems without modems , wireless etc...

I got a SMC Barricade, 4 port, with print server, built in firewall , etc...

Easy to setup, and works great, had a Linksys hub , not impressed, glitchy!!!!!!

The print server is great, i have a wireless laptop, can print from anywhere in the house, neat!!!!

Kitz E

Christopher Lewis 14:48 26 Jan 04

Thanks, Kitz E - the SMC certainly looks like another contender, though a bit more expensive.

Can anyone else comment?

Christopher Lewis 12:02 11 Feb 04

All the above look like possibles. In the end I went to the local little computer shop (run by someone who knows what he's talking about) and got a generic router - believe me, I can't find a manufacturers name anywhere! Easy set up, the CD did practically everything on all the machines.

It pays to shop local.

Christopher

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…