Which Ethernet cable should I use?

bilal_3715 14:24 29 Jun 16

Currently im using a cat 5e cable and just wondering should I buy a cat 6a or a cat 7 cable and why?

lotvic 15:33 29 Jun 16

Depends where and what it is connected to and the limits of that equipment, i.e. "Cat 7 and it's fairyland of 40-Gigabit speeds" Do you need to quickly transfer super huge amounts of Data on your (home?) network?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 29 Jun 16

Unless you have a blindingly fast connection its not worth changing the cable

click here

lotvic 15:36 29 Jun 16

If you want the tech info on the cables click here frequently asked question regarding CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6, CAT7 and CAT7a

alanrwood 18:30 29 Jun 16

Agreed with Fruit Bat however if you buy any more ethernet cables the difference in price between 5e and 6 is negligible. Forget about Cat 7 at this time.

Bris 18:46 29 Jun 16

A network will only run at the speed of its weakest link so if any of the equipment you connect a cat 6 or above cable to is cat 5e then it will run at cat 5e speed or to put it another way, if you want the speed increase of cat 6 then all of the equipment must be to cat 6 specification.

alanrwood 09:15 30 Jun 16

I would agree with Bris if he is referring only to the router/switch/network card specification. However as most hardware is nowadays specified as GB then either cat5e or Cat 6 will work at the GB speed even if mixed on the same network. If however the router/switch/network card is specified at 100MHz then that is the max speed that will pertain to that part of the network that it feeds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…