Which Entry LapTop ?

Furkin 12:40 29 Nov 08

Sorry for a trivial question, but my son & I are looking for an entry level laptop each. My sons will be his first venture into ‘ownership’, & fancies the ACER 5920G (Blu Ray) at £499.
I thought that I’d go for one also,,,, if we can get a good deal,,,,,, but now – I think the 15” screen will be too small for me,,,,,, & whilst my son wants his to be completely mobile, he is also thinking that ‘size’ matters.

We are going ga-ga weighing up facts & figures,,, and hope that you guys can short list some for us.
The ACER only comes with Vista (I would prefer XP).

Does anyone know of a similar machine, features / prices but with 17” screen ?
I suppose I could live without BluRay on mine.
Thanks for reading,,,,,

Furkin 10:43 01 Dec 08

Since my original request, I have been doing a bit of searching,,,,
My local PC-World was out of Acer 5920g, so no 'deal' at all. I asked his opinion of an 17" Acer on display & was surprised when he said " I wouldn't touch that model - nothing but trouble - over half of 'em are returned,,,,".
As I was only semi interested I didn't note the model number. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a specific17" Acer that I (& others) ought to beware of ?

I think my son has made his mind up about the 5920.
I am still looking for a 17" alternative with similar features (not necessarily BluRay),,,,,

cheers

Furkin 10:44 01 Dec 08

PS: dosn't have to be ACER either,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…